~The Game Pass Thread~

Backbone dropped on Game Pass for PC yesterday and I can’t really say it was on my radar, but this review on RPS makes the game sound more interesting than I initially thought.

Cross posting here, because the upcoming sale also includes another opportunity to sign up with GPU for 3 months at $1:

MS announcing a lot of new stuff. Building xCloud into TVs. Building a new xCloud Streaming Device (an xCloudBox?). Etc, etc.

I guess I can see why. FireTVs aren’t available worldwide and little Android streamer box quality widely varies.

I see that they mention xCloud on browsers being released soon. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing that I’ll be able to play Game Pass games in a browser at work in the near future.

A big reason why Xbox Series X has been hard to find is that MS diverted a large number of chips toward this

We’re in the final stages of updating our Microsoft datacenters around the world with our latest generation of hardware, the Xbox Series X. This means gamers will see faster load times, improved frame rates, and experience Xbox Series X|S optimized games.

But if they’re almost done, that should be freeing up supply for actual consoles.

Later this year, we’ll add cloud gaming directly into the Xbox app on PC and integrate it into our console experience to light up scenarios like try before you download.

This will be incredible!

Kind of hilarious if they get there before Stadia manages to integrate with Youtube.

This part kind of jumped out at me too:

With more than 23 studios worldwide creating games for Xbox, our goal is to release at least one new, first party game into Game Pass every quarter.

I seriously doubt that’s why XSX’s have been hard to find. The quantity in their datacenters must pale compared to those sold to consumers.

I’m not sure how many people would think of getting just a controller and streaming games to their TV. Would most people know they even buy a controller and have it communicate with their TV? Heck, I didn’t know that. Is that a relatively new thing?

Seems like they’ll come with tvs fairly soon.

I bet you can remap the remote :)

Remote controls will make the worst controllers I bet.

Ok, maybe not worse than the old d-pad controllers, like the NES. But just as bad!

I use an Xbox controller with my Firestick so I can play emulated games on my tv. It works fine except blue tooth sucks and won’t connect half the time.

What is a Lemnis Gate?

Watching this didn’t help much.

I think it’s a 1vs1 online fps, where you play 25 seconds, it’s recorded, and then time rewinds and you play again, together a copy of yourself doing your past actions. Then repeat again.

Interesting concept.

My subscription to the PC Game Pass expires at month’s end. I’m very conflicted about extending, mainly because I haven’t the time to play much. I’d been paying five bucks a month and if I can get that price again somehow, I will extend. For 10 bucks, it’s not worth it.

So–any ideas on how to grab, say, another year for $60?

Yes, if you haven’t used the $1 ultimate first month offer you can convert up to 3 years of XBL Gold for $1. Otherwise it’ll cost $14.99. XBL Gold 1 year MSRP is $60 but it’s often on sale for $50.