~The Game Pass Thread~

I was missing Windows 3.1 the other day.
Played Kingsway, and now I don’t.

Weird game.

Monsters are the UI fighting us. There’s a basic combat screen that moves around to get us clicking on the wrong command. Pop ups fly across the screen and damage if we don’t click on them fast enough.

Mess up -> Permadeath.

What is wrong with you? :P

As expected, two new games arrive on Game Pass today: Jackbox Party Pack and Space Hulk: Tactics. But a “surprise” game is also getting released today, Where the Water Tastes Like Wine. I don’t know much about that one, apparently it’s a depression era adventure game?

Man I would so get this Game Pass if I actually gamed enough to make it worth it. Maybe when I retire I will game more. Now it’s like a few hours a week, if that.

I’m already retired and it’s still more game than I’ll ever play.

Who needs to play 'em? I have plenty of fun installing them and then pinning them to my Windows Start menu. Then you get to see what size options the tiles come with and you can rearrange them into a very pleasing mosaic of entertainment you might have time for one day.

You’re the Picasso of gaming in your Cubist period.

That was the game that made zero dollars at release.

Interesting article about No More Robots, who claim that Descenders sold more copies because it was on Game Pass, which seems counterintuitive, but is explained to that being on Game Pass gets you a lot more exposure (basically free ads).

Rose adds: "Being on Game Pass means that you basically have constant featuring on Xbox. You’re game is on the dashboard all the time… People are seeing our game every day.

"And because of that, during launch month, our Xbox sales – we didn’t do any discounts on it or anything – quadrupled, and have now settled to about three times as much as before. It’s essentially an advert; a straight up advert.

“And now Xbox is asking, ‘Oh, can we feature Descenders in more of the Game Pass advertising?’ Yes, you can. Of course you fucking can.”

Interesting stuff.

Fascinating. Would not have thought it would impact sales to any meaningful degree. Game pass subscriptions, certainly, but a sale means that user decided against game pass and bought the game at full price.

Maybe people who have Game Pass don’t understand you don’t have to buy the game?

If you go to the store, it literally says “Install” on top of the page. The “Buy to own” option is below.

Right, so that means people deliberately decided to pay $25 to buy the game rather than subscribing to game pass for $10/month.

…which is batshit insane IMO.

I think it makes sense. We’ve seen loads of people say they prefer to buy vs. rent.

You guys are ignoring the part where he says it’s free advertising. I assume the buyers aren’t on GP for the most part, but people who see it scrolling through the UI.

Not “rather than” but instead “in addition to” I suspect.

It’s what I’d do - use Game Pass to demo games and then buy 'em if I liked 'em. That said, I’d never expect the number of folks like me to be enough to drive noticeable sales.

Nobody missed that. The point is people chose to buy the $25 game over subscribing for $10/month.

I guess it’s not solely a financial decision for a lot of folks.