~The Game Pass Thread~

Thought and Prayer.

I had a similar message (The privileges one) on a different game yesterday the first time I tried to run it. I suspect that was an Xbox service issue

I got an error the first time I ran Fallout 76 but got it working the second time after retrieving my bethesda-net username and password. It’s not installed on my Windows / C drive. Now whether or not I’ll actually play the game is anyone’s guess.

I recently had trouble with Game Pass not letting The Surge 2 download properly but I found this solution and it worked:

Perform SFC(System file Checker) scan and see if it helps.
a: Press Windows key + X.
b: Select Command Prompt(Admin).
c: Type SFC / scannow and hit enter.

Instead of command prompt I had to select Windows Powershell. If you have any games that refuse to download or update, you might give that a try.

Don’t think it needs to be on the C: drive at all. None of my windows store apps are. Servers and Xbox Live issues do occasionally happen with some games though.

Can anyone explain why MS insists on encrypting their game files and using that horrible WindowsApps file structure for PC gamepass?
What benefits does it have? I cannot think of any. It causes so much fuckups and mess.

Ubi and EA both have subscription services and are perfectly fine not encrypting game files and just using normal file structure. Why can’t MS follow suit? Would make gamepass much more usable, stable, better.

The entire idea is (was?) to improve security in Windows. Goodbye virus, malware, etc. UWP run sandboxed, this means, they don’t have real access to the OS and the files, and additionally apps can’t modify or tamper UWP apps so they can’t be infected or used a delivery mechanism for malware.

When I tried to play Sea of Thieves I ran into similar problems and in the end just gave up and uninstalled it.

That I get. But UWP has been pretty much scrapped. Nobody uses it. Not even MS, apparently. Gamepass games do not use it! They run in Win32, just encrypted.

As far as I know, some Gamepass games are UWP, others are Win32.

People have reported problems with other games when they’re installed in locations besides C:, so it’s not an issue limited to F76.

I’ve been installing Gamepass games to the C: drive only, and moving games from other services to the D: drive to make room. It’s a PITA, but at least I’ve had no problems running the Gamepass stuff up until now.

I’ve been installing Game Pass games to the F drive for a few months now, I haven’t had any issues with the rest of them, except Night Call early on, and installing that one on C: didn’t help me getting it to run. Well, it always ran, it just never went past the opening screen.

@rrmorton, I just tried that SFC thing, and it found and fixed some files, but I still get the same message in Fallout 76.

Yeah, I think it helps with corrupted downloads that get stuck but that F76 problem is different.

It’s a stretch, but the most charitable thing I can say about Game Pass is that I kind of like how it reintroduced these technical difficulties to the hobby after they were mostly absent for many years. It’s a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finally get a game downloading or working. And with some titles, it’s the most fun you’ll have.

You don’t need to have the whole game installed on the C drive, just the ini file. This worked for me, although apparently you need to manually set the ini file to read only every time before you launch the game, unless you set up a simple batch file. (I didn’t bother with this as one game session of Fallout 76 was enough for me!).

Full instructions are here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/hq3uzm/automated_fix_for_fallout_76_noregionping_on_xbox/

What a gong show. Games For Windows Live / Xbox PC making PC gaming worse since 1999.

I find it quite humorous that they brought out Fallout76. Not only is it hard to find people who enjoy the game (even for free with game pass), it’s technically bad and causing universal windows store problems for everyone trying to see how bad it is.

I don’t know anyone who has gotten it to work the first time, yet everyone I know that jumped through all the hoops to get it to work stopped playing within an hour or two. I don’t know of any other Xbox Game Pass for PC game that has been so universally broken for everyone.

Thanks Pelwl. Welcome to the forum!

The instructions didn’t work for me to create the bat file, but just manually copying the ini file to that folder (which already exists and has another file in it) and changing it to read-only did the trick.

I was able to play and get out of the vault this morning.

So was it worth the effort @Rock8man?

This my third time installing Fallout 76 to give it a try since it released, and it still makes me sad to play it.

Not sure whether to play this and risk getting burned out before Like A Dragon. On the other hand, the combat will be so different that the burnout might not carry over.

I can’t wait for Y:LAD. At first I was like, “what, Kiryu’s not the protagonist, why would anybody care,” but now I’m all, “A middle-aged loser who’s way too into video games? Now that’s a protagonist I can relate to.”