~The Game Pass Thread~

? I thought this game is only getting released in August?

So I made the mistake of installing MCC again on nonC drive and…

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/fipx32/halo_the_master_chief_collection_cant_open/

Game works, but after restart or shut down, error message about offline storage.

Fuck Microsoft and their incompetence. Seriously.

It is. This is yet another example of MS incompetence. It lets you predownload few files but you cannot play, obviously.

Yep… figured that was a mix up, but a really stupid one that should be easily avoided.

Same with CK3

The Xbox app is developed by one guy in his breaks and he’s really upset about how hard he works for how little support from you guys. Poor Eddie.

They do that for nearly all the first party games for some reason. You could “Install/Play” Gears 5 months before it came out in the same way, for instance. And Gears Tactics, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and so on. In the message they send out, they want you to be “pre-install and be ready to play when it comes out”. But they set it up months in advance when there’s nothing to pre-install yet, except a small file.

However, if you do it, I have to admit, the actual process of installation and everything is taken care of while I’m at work. So on the day of the release of the game, I can just go home and start playing. I haven’t had any issues with pre-installed games using this method.

Yeah, I got excited/confused when I saw CK3 there a few weeks ago. I ‘installed’ and obviously it took no time and wasn’t playable. I poked around some more and did find the release date set for August 1st or something like that. It wasn’t obvious at all and took some time to find. I’m assuming the release date is there too for Wasteland 3 but not obvious. Just put a freaking ‘pre-release’ banner or something MS.

They’ve actually started doing this on the Xbox now, too. Yesterday there was a big ad for Grounded to pre-install, and then when I was browsing the GP games list, Carrion was on there, and that isn’t a first-party title. There was no note that it was a pre-installation, it was just on the list like every other game. So I installed it, and when I tried to play, I got a message about it being ‘too soon’, and to check the MS Store for details.

The issue isn’t the pre-install but that they let you click “Play”. You can see the actual release date under “Details” on the same page:

Edit: of course another issue is that they use the wonky MM/DD format when most of the world is using DD/MM. At least use the OS locale ffs.

Yeah. I did check the store after that message, and it said it’s available to play on July 22nd.

When I saw CK3 a couple of weeks ago (more or less) I was surprised and checked the details. I don’t recall seeing any date which is why I tried to download it. Now I could have been looking at a different screen that didn’t have the date. I see that the top part of the game’s page doesn’t show a date for the game’s release but down in the details it does. Nor does the square on the right with PLAY or Purchase Options. But I checked Flight Sim and it doesn’t have PLAY, it has Pre-Install and below that a release date. So MS can make it easier to notice pre-release, they just didn’t for CK3 and Wasteland 3. I don’t even…

So I deleted the nonfunctional MCC install on my F: drive and redownloaded the glorious 80GB again to my SSD C: drive (where I now have 15GB free, great). So the game works, yay.

But…could also anyone try to explain why do MS Gamepass/Store game shortcuts lose their icons randomly?

I put the game on desktop by dragging it there from the start menu, icon is there properly. I restart the PC, icon is:

It is just amazing to me, these microsoft things. One would thing that digital game downloading and shortcut making are solved problems. Not at MS I guess.

That’s possibly got nothing to do with GP games or the MS store. Steam games on my Win10 desktop have lost their icon somewhat recently. There is something else at play there.

Interesting. On my PC no icon has ever been lost that wasn’t from Gamepass, but with gamepass games it happens pretty much every time. But then with Forza Horizon 4 it did not happen.

Can you recreate them? You know the hidden apps live in shell:appsfolder

I tried it, and when I go to this folder in windows explorer I can see the files there, but when I try to change the icon and go to this folder, it appears empty (even if I select “all files” and not just icons).

In the end I found another halo icon online and added that to the shortcut. The lengths microsoft makes me go to, I swear…

You could create a fresh shortcut from that folder maybe, bit you seem to have triumphed anyway :)

You need to have them installed on a drive other than C: in order for the icons to stay.

Forager (Console & PC)– July 16

Mount & Blade: Warband (Console) – July 16

Carrion (Console & PC) – July 23

Golf With Your Friends (PC) – July 23

Grounded – Xbox Game Preview(Console & PC) – July 28

Nowhere Prophet (Console & PC) – July 30

The Touryst (Console & PC) – July 30

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Console & PC) – July 30

Available already:

Neon Abyss (Console & PC)

Endless Space 2 (PC)

Halo 3 (PC)

Grounded is the one I’m looking forward to the most in that list.

I chuckled

If I had done that there is good chance the icon would be gone again on next reboot…