Xbox Game Pass & new MS game store app - PC thread

So I deleted the nonfunctional MCC install on my F: drive and redownloaded the glorious 80GB again to my SSD C: drive (where I now have 15GB free, great). So the game works, yay.

But…could also anyone try to explain why do MS Gamepass/Store game shortcuts lose their icons randomly?

I put the game on desktop by dragging it there from the start menu, icon is there properly. I restart the PC, icon is:

It is just amazing to me, these microsoft things. One would thing that digital game downloading and shortcut making are solved problems. Not at MS I guess.

That’s possibly got nothing to do with GP games or the MS store. Steam games on my Win10 desktop have lost their icon somewhat recently. There is something else at play there.

Interesting. On my PC no icon has ever been lost that wasn’t from Gamepass, but with gamepass games it happens pretty much every time. But then with Forza Horizon 4 it did not happen.

Can you recreate them? You know the hidden apps live in shell:appsfolder

I tried it, and when I go to this folder in windows explorer I can see the files there, but when I try to change the icon and go to this folder, it appears empty (even if I select “all files” and not just icons).

In the end I found another halo icon online and added that to the shortcut. The lengths microsoft makes me go to, I swear…

You could create a fresh shortcut from that folder maybe, bit you seem to have triumphed anyway :)

You need to have them installed on a drive other than C: in order for the icons to stay.

Forager (Console & PC)– July 16

Mount & Blade: Warband (Console) – July 16

Carrion (Console & PC) – July 23

Golf With Your Friends (PC) – July 23

Grounded – Xbox Game Preview(Console & PC) – July 28

Nowhere Prophet (Console & PC) – July 30

The Touryst (Console & PC) – July 30

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Console & PC) – July 30

Available already:

Neon Abyss (Console & PC)

Endless Space 2 (PC)

Halo 3 (PC)

Grounded is the one I’m looking forward to the most in that list.

I chuckled

If I had done that there is good chance the icon would be gone again on next reboot…

?

Is that like Early Access or something? They’ve already put out a demo.

Indeed it is:

https://www.xbox.com/en-SG/games/xbox-game-preview-faq

What is Xbox Game Preview?

Xbox Game Preview is a way for our fans to preview and purchase work-in-progress digital titles, participate in the development process and help developers make Xbox One games the best they can be.

So my Ultimate sub expired and it looks like I can get a month of PC Gamepass for $1. This is a no brainer right? I don’t lose anything and I get to check out Halo 3, No Man’s Sky and Fallout 76 for 33 cents each? Plus 1c for something nice for Satya?

I mean, it’s a no-brainer at full price, so sure.

This goes here, too

Carrion is on gamepass. Console and PC. Installing on both now.

Edit: Made it to the first save point. This is glorious so far.

Thanks for the heads up! I love it too… it’s got a great tone and feel. It’s fun to slither around those levels and cause so much screaming.

Wait, why I don’t see it on my Xbox app? edit: oh here it is. strange it wasn’t on ‘new releases’.

So annoying, the Xbox app appears to have stopped working properly. It launches, shows me my games, but it’s stuck on “Preparing” when trying to install Carrion. It also won’t let me update anything in the settings, the MS Store has somehow vanished, and other MS apps like Photos no longer work. I’ve tried reinstallling the store using Powershell but it just gives me a bunch of errors.

Naturally this all started happening a Windows Update or two ago. It’s also been 3.5 years since I bought this laptop, so it may in fact be time to nuke this installation from orbit, as they say.

There was a big update for the app a week or two ago, did you get that update yet? Both the phone version of the app, and the Windows version. The phone one really needed an overhaul, and it’s a nice fast app now. The Windows version added a lot of functionality from the Xbox Companion App on Windows, which they will eventually try to phase out I think.

I’m running version 2007.1001.9.0 (it’s under Settings/About). What’s yours?