~The Game Pass Thread~

It’s listed under both PC and console on my Game Pass app (on my phone). It’s claiming to let me remote install to either one.

What’s it about?

Honestly? I’m not exactly sure–I just have read it’s quirky, chill, and good!

I noticed that the Game Pass on my phone now plays the trailer for these games too. And after watching that, I’m not exactly sure either. It looks like you are in a lego world, and you can go diving, and be a tourist in other ways, and also explore some kind of ancient mayan mystery or something.

And now there’s the ‘leaving soon’ song to ease us through that transition.

That’s hilarious.

Maybe they should’ve added something at the end about how you can always just buy it?

Battletoads coming to Game Pass August 20.

That is a blast from the past.

That’s a nice way to describe childhood trauma.

Interesting trailer. I’m not familiar with Battletoads, has it always been a multi-genre game franchise? When I saw battletoads beating up enemies, I almost turned off the video, since I hate that genre, but then they showed other clips of gameplay from other genres that I really like.

Yes, there were multiple games on multiple systems. Even an arcade game.

“If you’re gonna revive an ancient IP, why not choose one with a thriving meme culture?” was their obvious reasoning.

And sure, I guess.

I hope it has an easy mode, or unlimited retries, or something.

Most of the others had the speed-run and dodge-wall vehicle sections shown in the trailer.

Leaving soon: Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Come, Yoku’s Island Empress

LOL next tweet:

Silver lining: if you end up buying the game before it leaves, you’ll get a discount for being an XGP member

D’oh! I didn’t know Kingdom Come was also on PC Game Pass until it showed up in the leaving soon section. Installing now. I think games leave on August 15th, right?

The good news is you’ll know if it’s worth a purchase. Although you might be stuck in the Microsoft Store if you can’t transfer your saved games.

Ha ha. Yeah, I remember trying about a thousand times to beat whatever level defeated me.

The PC app is still kind of wonky. Games want to associate to your Live account and you have to click ok, some start but have a hidden window you have to tab over to where it’s asking if you want to use X profile, achievements pop and I hear the noise but don’t see the notification. As a games launcher I’d put it below Epic I think.

Then there’s still the whole save game issue.

Since this seems to be merging both the Xbone and PC Games Pass stuff, some impressions of stuff added in the last few days.

Grounded is cute and fun. Pretty low-key for a survival crafter, but man those spiders can be somewhat harrowing. I played it last week and got through the ‘story’, and didn’t play again until this evening. I did some exploration, and found some new things, and bits of story lore. I’d kind of like to try with some other peeps to see what the spiders might be guarding…

The Touryst is indeed very chill and cute. It’s pretty much an adventure game with some very light platforming. It is doing the ‘3d-8 bit’ look, but they kind of go overboard with the Depth of Field blur and whatnot. I’m apparently 15% done after a bit of playing, and nothing has been difficult in any way so far.

Nowhere Prophet is pretty damn cool. Kind of if Slay the Spire was more tactics-based? It also kind of reminds me of an old boardgame Neuroshima Hex. The art is great, and seems to have some cool world building so far- kind of a techno-post-apocalypse thing. I can see myself getting sucked into it like I did with StS.

And of course as mentioned elsewhere, Carrion is hilarious fun.

Generally agreed with all of those impressions, though I did stop playing The Touryst at a place that requires you to execute an annoyingly precise awkward-angled sprinting jump three times in a row.

Looking forward to playing more of Nowhere Prophet. As you mentioned, it’s got a cool atmosphere and art style, and I really enjoy the way the whole wound/blessing system plays out. As a bonus, it works great as a touchscreen-only game on Surface. Not quite convinced by the difficulty tuning though – on my second run, I was cruising along, well-equipped, barely taking any casualties, until I ran into a legendary enemy out of nowhere that I had no prayer against.

I had installed it but not got round to playing it. Now I am seriously intrigued.