Xbox Live! and the Miyamoto Reversal

Well, “worthless” is maybe a bit much. It’s worthless only if you think something has to provide total protection to provide any value, which I’d view as hyperbole. You can definitely reduce offensive language in that manner. How much value you see in that is subjective, but the percentage of filtered “hits” would be a pretty objective measure. I sometimes leave the default language filter on longer than I would have had I thought about it at the start, just out of amusement at the string of cartoonish sentences that the filter frequently creates. Optional filtering seems to do a pretty good job in the games I play that use it.

But, if a company wants to encourage people to use the headset so they can be “cutting-edge”, getting rid of the keyboard is one way to do it.

It’s interesting though… I rather expected less profanity compared to text systems, since saying something out loud requires a person to have less restraint than speaking in text, which is something that only they and their fellow players can see. Behavior when speaking seems like it would be alot easier for parents to monitor frequently enough to ensure decent conduct, if they gave a damn. It’s too bad some adults don’t have such a consequences-administering monitor within hearing-range.

It’s interesting though… I rather expected less profanity compared to text systems, since saying something out loud requires a person to have less restraint than speaking in text, which is something that only they and their fellow players can see.

shouting out loud requires less time, which means people will think less about it. when playing a console in your own room, you’re more likely to cuss - there is noone else with you, as such.

in text you have to think about what you’re gonna type and then type it - and you can then delete it - can’t do that with shouting out loud

I am all for advocating more parental involvement. It is not “the industry’s” fault as many in Washington D.C. may have people believe. My son doesn’t play online games.

I’ve heard stuff like this before, as well as racist comments, insults directed towards someone’s nationality, and other such low-brow assesments.
What’s funny, though, is that the only game I’ve heard this stuff on is the media’s darling, Mechassault. Never in my life had I played with such a collection of idiots and poor sports. I eventually traded it in for Ghost Recon and have had absolutely no regrets thus far. On top of being a decent game, the players are FAR more encouraging, cooperative, and fun.
I’m starting to think of the ESRB rating as an indicator of how many grief players I’ll meet online playing that game. Ghost Recon and Unreal Championship are both mature, and I’ve found that players online, surprisingly, reflect that. Mechassault, on the other hand, is rated teen. I can just see Johnny Shithead at EB with mom pointing at a stack of Live games.

“Let me get Ghost Recon, ma!” (as he thinks about which is the most effective rifle for tk’ing)
“No, no darling. That’s just too violent for you. Why don’t we get you this nice Mechassault instead. You get to blow things up, but at least they won’t bleed when you do it!”
“Ok!” (as he dreams about forever sniping across the map with dual PPCs)

I can’t speak on the state of sports games, since I don’t play them, but I’ve heard they’re much of the same. Same goes for CVSEO. Maybe I’m onto something? Parents, you don’t need to protect your children from us. Please, protect us from your children! :D

-Beau

I believe that children are the future. Teach them well, and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty those cocksuckers possess inside.