Xbox Live Arcade Pricing Info

LINKY: Microsoft PR

Hopefully this wasn’t posted yet.

Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 games that will be available on 2 December include:

Bankshot Billiards 2™ (1200 points) – pixelStorm, Inc.
Bejeweled 2 (800 points) – Popcap Games
Gauntlet (400 points) – Midway Home Entertainment
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved (400 points) – Bizzare Creations
Hardwood Backgammon (400 points) – Silver Creek Entertainment
Hardwood Hearts (400 points) – Silver Creek Entertainment
Hardwood Spades (400 points) – Silver Creek Entertainment
Hexic® HD (full version included free with Xbox 360 System) – Microsoft Game Studios
Joust (400 points) – Midway Home Entertainment
Mutant Storm Reloaded (800 points) – PomPom Games
Outpost Kaloki (800 points) – Wahoo Studios
Robotron 2084 (400 points) – Midway Home Entertainment
Smash TV (400 points) – Midway Home Entertainment
Wik: Fable of Souls (800 points) – Reflexive Entertainment
Zuma (800 points) – Popcap Games

In addition, each Xbox Live Arcade game on Xbox 360 offers a fully playable trial version, enabling gamers to experience their favourite arcade games in high-definition before deciding to purchase.

“We’re incredibly excited about providing gamers with that they want – inexpensive and entertaining digital content delivered right to their Xbox 360,” said Peter Moore, Corporate Vice President of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing for Xbox at Microsoft. “Xbox Live Marketplace puts the buying power directly into the consumer’s hands, allowing each person to choose digital content they want, when they want it.”

You can buy 1600 points for $20. That means a game like Joust is $5. You must buy points. It has something to do with paying the people making the games/making money for Microsoft, yadda yadda. So basically 80 points = 1 dollar. I’ll probably spend $20 if you can’t unlock the Bizarre game Geometry Wars inside of PGR3.

–Dave

Very odd that they didn’t scale things so that 100 points = $1 dollar. I guess they’re trying to disconnect your brain from the true prices. Sorta like in Vegas where you must play with chips rather than cash. Still odd…

Gauntlet, Smash TV and Joust are for sure co-op over Live. That’s worth it right there.

BTW, what’s the link for this?

That’s some really smart pricing there. Zuma for $10? Sold. Mutant Storm for $10? Hell yeah!

Can you plug in credit card info and buy points online? Are they sold via card? (Oddly, given the pulling of launch games from the initial lineup that I was interested in, the good Arcade pricing is making me lean toward sooner rather than later again. Wonder how many indies we’ll actually see signing on.)

Just like Dave & Busters or any other arcade that uses tokens or cards. Not only does it discourage you from an easy calculation to how much you’re spending at any particular moment but it also prevents MS from getting dinged with a bunch of small dollar credit card transactions.

Just like Dave & Busters or any other arcade that uses tokens or cards. Not only does it discourage you from an easy calculation to how much you’re spending at any particular moment but it also prevents MS from getting dinged with a bunch of small dollar credit card transactions.[/quote]

There’s also the “gift certificate” principle at work. A certain percentage of points purchased won’t ever get used, thus you get payment now for a product you never have to deliver.

Just like Dave & Busters or any other arcade that uses tokens or cards. Not only does it discourage you from an easy calculation to how much you’re spending at any particular moment but it also prevents MS from getting dinged with a bunch of small dollar credit card transactions.[/quote]

There’s another advantage (somewhat deceptive) for MS.

Most people will buy their credits $20 at a time, but a high percentage will only spend $5 to $10 to buy the game they want, leaving the rest of the credits ‘for later’. But of course, for a high percentage of those custoemrs, ‘later’ will never come - they’ll forget about the credits and orphan them. MS gets to keep all the money from the orphaned credits - doesn’t even have to pay a royalty to devs off of them.

But consumers may not take this into account when they buy things - oh, Hardwood Hearts is $5 - I’ll give it a try. They spend $20, and perhaps never use the other $15.

It’s a bit like the rebate system at CompUSA, etc. In the consumer’s mind, a $40 item with a $20 rebate costs $20. But half the consumers don’t mail in the rebate, so Comp actually nets $30/item, while appearing to charge $20.

[edit - doh… someone posted a more concise version of what I said 1 minute before me]

Here’s some more points stuff found on GAF:

Amped 3 (2K Sports)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

Call of Duty® 2 (Activision Inc.)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 7 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 2 Gamer Picture Bundles (40 – 80 points each)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

Condemned (SEGA)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

FIFA 06 Road to FIFA World Cup(Electronic Arts)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • EA Sports Trailer (free)
  • Game Demo (free)
  • FIFA Team Logo Gamer Pictures (60 points each)
  • FIFA Team Logo Themes (150 points each)

GUNTM (Activision)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 5 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 1 Gamer Picture Bundle (80 points)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd.)

• Winter Warrior Pack (200 points)
  • Game Trailer (free)
  • Game Demo (free)
  • 4 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 2 Gamer Picture 5-pack Bundles (80 points each)
  • 7 Themes (150 points each)

Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (Ubisoft)

• Game Demo (free)
  • Game Trailer (free)

Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • NFL Logo Gamer Pictures (60 points each)
  • Collection of All NFL Logo Gamer Pictures (500 points)
  • NFL Logo Themes (150 points each)

NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)

• Game Trailer (free)

NBA Live 06

• Game Demo (free)

Need for Speed Most Wanted

• Game Trailer (free)
  • Game Demo (free)

NHL 2K6

• Game Trailer (free)

Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd)

• Game Trailer (free)

Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations Ltd.)

• Game Trailer (free)

Quake 4TM (Activision, id Software Inc. and Raven Software Corp.)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 7 Gamer Pictures (20 points each)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

Ridge Racer 6

• 6 Cars (pricing tbd)
  • 6 Background Music Tracks (pricing tbd)
  • Game Trailer (free)

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06 (Electronic Arts)

Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland (Activision)

• Game Trailer (free)
  • 10 Gamer Pictures (20 points)
  • 1 Gamer Picture Bundle (80 points)
  • 1 Theme (150 points)

Plus:

• “Aeon Flux” HD movie trailer from Paramount
  • Penny Arcade Gamer Pictures and Themes
  • Red vs. Blue Videos
  • High Definition Movie Trailers and Music Videos
  • Game Trailers for upcoming games
  • …and much more!

Linked in main post now. Notable…

Microsoft Points will be available for purchase at participating retail stores and via the Xbox Live Dashboard. In North America, consumers can purchase a card worth 1600 Points for an MSRP of $19.99. Offers in the dashboard will range from 500 points and up.

–Dave

WTF is a Gamer Picture and why would anyone spend real money to buy them? Themes are backgrounds for the dashboard or something?

If it’s not game content, why would people spend real money (even a quarter - 20 points) on it? Have I just missed the market for paying $0.50 or so to have a Calvin peeing on Hobs sticker on the back of my PGR3 Viper?

Sounds like more of a thing to grab if you have some spare points. You can win small amounts of points in games too, right?

I THINK the way it works is that there’s a Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved in PGR3, but it’s a slightly more limited version and it doesn’t show up in the Live Arcade. To get the somewhat expanded version in the Live Arcade, you need to buy it.

I like that they’re udpating the games a bit. I believe Gauntlet is playable online, for instance, which rocks. Hopefully so is Smash TV.

It’s supposed to be both. You get some points when you buy Xbox Live Gold (if you don’t have Live already to transfer over). They’re selling points cards in stores. And if you have Gold and therefore have given up a credit card number, I think you can buy points from within Xbox interface. At the very least you can just add them to your account online. If you have Live Silver (free), I think you can buy them on Xbox.com and maybe pop in a credit card number in the Live interface. I can’t tell you yet, I can’t get the final 360 unit on Live (yet). :(

Here’s what I think is REALLY cool about this press release:

FIFA Soccer 06 - Game Demo (free)
Kameo - Game Demo (free)
NBA Live 06 - Game Demo (free)
NFS: MW - Game Demo (free)
King Kong - Game Demo (free)

Having five playable demos, all free, for download on Day One is better than I expected. And it’s been a long time coming for consoles! I look forward to an age where practically every major console release is accompanied by a free downloadable demo.

Plus, every Live Arcade game has a free demo version, so I can decide if I think that Wik: Fable of Souls is worth $10. Groovy - way to make that an across-the-board rule, MS. :)

I don’t think you can win points in games - at least not directly. I do believe they’ll award Marketplace Points in online contests, though.

Jason, I’ve played both Gauntlet and Smash TV online. Haven’t played Joust though, but I hear it’s online as well.

I think Gamer Pictures are avatars, basically. They show up when someone looks at your profile on live, or on the web. For example, here’s mine: http://live.xbox.com/member/MonkeyBunker

YES. I’m totally down for some Smash TV when I’m able to get the 360 final unit on Live. :)

These are micropayments. As such it’s very useful to disassociate them from real money. That’s why it’s 80 points to the dollar rather than 100.

Personalized consumer electronics is very big business in japan, somewhat less so in the states. People actually pay money for worthless garbage like ringtones, wallpaper for their cellphones, etc. That’s because the “content” is sent directly to their phone by texting, for example, “peanuts” to “1-800-snoopy1” and a charlie brown wallpaper is added to your phone and $2.00 automatically added to your cellphone bill.

if those are avatars, are you locked into buying a stupid game one or having no avatar or can I just make one like a normal person using a pc would do?

The arcade stuff looks neat but i’m feeling a tide of BS micro options coming, like all those free (for pc at least) morrowind mods by bethesda will be $5 a pop now for oblivion? Will everyone charge on Pc for this stuff now as well if the product is also on 360 and has addons w/ a point cost? like say BF2 didnt come out yet, then came out for PC and 360, with few maps. Here come maps in patches, boom! do pc gamers get to pay as well or do we get them free like before?

I’m assumnig the answer is we will pay…

does this mean no mod tools anymore? I mean, why give out a tool to make free content when you can chrun it out for micropayments?

I know,I know, i’ll take off the tin foil hat now.

I assume every xbox live account comes with a limited selection of avatars, all pink and labeled “I AM GAY IRL” and the cool ones cost money.

If they can get $5 for a tiny mod, why wouldn’t they? You charge what the market will bear. What, you though microsoft was your friend?

They would certainly charge on the PC too, if the infrastructure was there. Historically nobody has been successful with micropayments due to lack of infrastructure. Otherwise IGN would charge you $0.02 to read each page of their review of GTA:LC, for example.