Xbox One S questions

We bought one for my son for his 11th b-day this Wednesday. He’s been saving up his chore and grade card money for probably 7-8 months trying to reach $300 to buy one. He spent the night with my mom last night, and when he comes home he’ll find it’s already attached to the TV in the basement, updated and ready to go. But I’m completely new to Xbox, haven’t owned a console since my Atari 1600, and my main concern is parental controls on Xbox Live and stuff like that. We got him the starter version with a 1TB drive and 3 months of game pass and Live. He has a handful of friends who’re already on Live and I really want to restrict his online play/grouping to his friends. I don’t want my son exposed to older teens and college age+ players dropping the N and F word every few seconds.

So any tips and config info would be greatly appreciated, stuff simple Googling might not turn up. TIA!!

Don’t have any advice on parental controls, but the price on that bundle recently dropped to $250 so I would try to get your kid his fifty bucks back.

That can definitely be done.

Well, it died after 10 days of use. No video. He was playing Fortnite today, says the video went wonky then froze, he power cycled and nothing. I made sure it wasn’t the sound bar by putting it directly to the TV, no video. He’s one bummed out little 11yo boy right now.

Ugh. That’s very unlucky. The One variants are pretty robust pieces of hardware.

That’s a shame. See if the MS support site will let you do cross-shipping of a replacement unit. Might be a bit extra (I haven’t done it since 2013 or so, after 2 bad XB1 optical drives in a row) but it might make the boy a bit happier to be up and running again ASAP.

10 days? Did you buy it locally? Can you not just take it back and exchange it if so?

Or are there special rules in place for consoles? I haven’t bought one (PS3) since 2009, so I’m clueless.

Bought it from Newegg.