XBOX Scarlet - Microsoft's post XBONE console(s)

C’mon man. I’m not stupid.

You’re basically arguing the same thing within the Xbox brand though and I’m telling you that will never happen. They’re not going to give Xbox One users crippled versions of Xbox Scarlet games unless it’s sold as a different SKU in an Xbox One dark green box.

Is Crysis “crippled” when you run it on an older computer? No. It just looks and performs worse. Same game, though.

You’re really determined to split that hair…

Does any streaming actually work though? By “work” I mean, I can play a single player game off their servers without crazy lag?

You’re using a purposefully misleading word in crippled. It is simply inaccurate.

As I recall we had this same argument a couple years ago and you stated vehemently that the PS4 Pro and XboneX would never, could never, exist. For all the same reasons.

@Rod, I played a bunch of Tomb Raider 2016 on my Nvidia Shield streaming from Nvidia’s servers just recently, when they made it free. Worked great, I couldn’t tell it wasn’t local. I do have a fiber gigabit connection, though. My feeling is streaming works great for most genres that don’t require split-second accuracy like fighting games and stuff like Super Meatboy.

Nvidia has it today.

Right this looks to be another one just launched. But is it fit for purpose? Sony’s isnt, Onlive didnt work. From the article here they say you need a 50mbps connection to have a decent experience. I am not convinced this one actually works for real gameplay either. Maybe someone here can correct me?

I can stream PS4 games to my Vita off my mediocre Time Warner home connection ~500 miles away and there’s minimal lag. It’s not an internet connection problem, it’s a hardware cost and maintenance problem combined with users not wanting to pay the money it takes, although it seems that is changing.

It was launched a year or two back, actually. Like I said it works great.

Thanks all, I am happy to be corrected!

I thought OLive didn’t work because their business model was terrible.

Whereas, I can totally see a completely different model that Microsoft would use. And Microsoft already owns all the key pieces, including the world’s 2nd largest cloud operation.

By 2020 there will be multiple game streaming efforts underway. Nvidia’s has already launched. Sony will be expanding theirs. EA is going to have one. Microsoft has to get one spun up or risk being left behind.

The rumor is that Google is going to launch a huge game streaming console/effort as well.

I imagine Amazon will follow shortly, and Valve will not want Steam shut out.

By 2020 the tech will be there for 1080p streaming in lots of places. Not everywhere and not for everyone. But it has to start somewhere.

Fair enough. @Woolen_Horde Cheers, all, sorry for the minor derail.

No worries. But, yeah, OLive didn’t work for a variety of reasons, almost none of which were technical.

So, yeah, maybe Scarlet streaming limits you to 1080p, and if you buy the high-end Scarlet, you get 4K. But everyone (with a decent Internet connection) still gets to play.

So the big problem I see other than graphics is sheer CPU power, or lack of it. The Jaguar cores in the PS4/Xbone generation frankly suck. Jaguar was AMD’s answer to Intel’s Atom, and Atom was made for tablets and really low-end devices.

If the Sony/MS next-gen goes to Ryzen, you’re going to see a rather big jump in CPU performance. So any games made to take advantage of that are going to really struggle on the current gen.

Yep, and that would be a valid technical reason to break forward compatibility, if those games really couldn’t be scaled down to work well on the old hardware.

Yeah, the Crytek devs are saying even the Xbox One X CPU power is 1/3 of that of Ryzen 1. And by 2020, we’re going to be looking at Ryzen 2nd or 3rd generation in the box.

http://digiworthy.com/2018/01/04/xbox-one-x-cpu-ryzen/

I agree with this. No way in hell you are squeezing a 1080ti into a $499 box in 2019. It’s even aggressive for 2020.

I’m not sure 1080ti-class performance would really be a generational leap. The XboneX GPU performs between a RX-580 and Vega 56, or in Nvidia terms, a GTX1060 and a GTX1070. GTX1080ti isn’t that big a leap from that. Yes it’s capable of true 4k, barely, unlike the XboneX without tricks or old games. I just don’t know if that matters very much, as the tricks are actually pretty good and great graphics don’t really enable great gameplay.

The CPU performance increase, on the other hand, could be transformative. But you need developers to switch up their thinking caps and use those CPUs first.

The one time I tried it, I put it between the DirecTV box and the soundbar (which has its own HDMI passthrough). Did not get good results and took it out of the loop. Might be because my TV is really finicky about the HDMI handshaking protocols, but chaining devices is more trouble that it’s worth when using the ARC works well.