Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I didn’t even have Gold before Ultimate was a thing.

Wario is in no sense of the word a bot.

No, I don’t think a long overdue price increase of 16% for games being adopted by multiple publishers is as bad as a 100% price increase for Gold.

“Long overdue”, I like that.

In Denmark, we still dont have any PS5’s nor any Xbox’s for sale since the few hundred that were released a few days after they were supposed to.

First world problems I know, just kinda annoying when I really wanted one of each!

I’ve long been dreaming of the day when I could pay more money for games.

Also, I like how we are still talking about how evil Microsoft is, for a change they didn’t implement, and ended up resulting in actually improving the service for users by no loner requiring a purchase at all to play F2P online titles.

You’re right. They are heroes for finally changing their policy of being the only platform that demanded you pay a subscription fee to access free to play games for the last 16 years.

Yet Microsoft gives you unlimited cloud save storage and free sync services even without a Gold subscription. Sony and Nintendo sure don’t.

I tend to make a distinction between charging for a service, and charging to disable an arbitrary blocking of access to stuff you don’t create of provide.

Many many companies will charge you money for cloud storage, including Microsoft with OneDrive. Just because they choose not to in this instance does not make every other example unethical. It’s certainly not comparable to being the only platform that demands you pay them for access to free games they did not make and do not materially support.

Used to. And they do support these games. Microsoft added parental control settings to determine whether your child is allowed to play games with people off platform and who your child is allowed to voice chat with off platform. These apply to multi-system games like Fortnite. They certainly apply to non-free-to-play games too, but it’s not as simple as your claim that Microsoft does nothing.

EDIT: I stand corrected - promised to remove, not used to.

Some reminders of some often overlooked features on the Xbox consoles.

Well, not quite. They said they’d work to fix the situation in the coming months.

Requiring options to block cross-play is a mandate developers have to implement, not a feature Microsoft provides. System level voice chat controls don’t really have anything to do with a specific game, and can’t in any way be considered material to a free to play game’s development and server costs. They aren’t even Gold requiring features.

Screenshots from my Xbox family controls may help explain my point. Microsoft provides these controls to parents, which requires development resources and co-operation with developers - including F2P game makers. I don’t claim these alone justify charging for Gold, but I disagree with your assertion that Microsoft does nothing for their money. Especially when compared to Sony and Nintendo’s family controls, which are anemic in comparison.

Some good news for Hitman 3 players on Series X!

de Pascale notes that “developing on Series X|S has been a further improvement compared to the previous generation,” and thanks to the powerful Series X|S hardware, IOI could finally make use of 4K-ready source assets that didn’t need to be scaled down.

All platforms offer parental controls. None of the features you are talking about are specific to F2P games, they are basic platform functions MS themselves have defined. You might as well be claiming anything in the Xbox SDK counts, which is beyond missing the point. This kind of support is how they justify their 30% take of all purchases, and licensing fees for physical games, and is common to all console platforms.

Well I’m sure we can at least all agree that now the Series S is no longer a “laughably bad” investment, what with sparing all those kids their allowance money to play Fortnite.

Jokes aside, maybe you want to go take your anti xbox bitching out of here Brad? Given that you don’t own one and won’t ever own one?

Like, maybe just start your own thread where you can tell everyone how Microsoft murdered your family and then Sony resurrected them like Jesus bringing back Lazarus?

I mean, ya don’t need to, but it’s not the best look.

And honestly… The thing that is so weird, is that your animosity is generally one sided. It kind of forces folks to go on the attacks against Sony because you have such a whacked out view… But as far as i know, i think most of the folks here who have xboxes… Also have PlayStations.

Because it’s just a fucking box you play games on. It’s not a religion, dude.

Well said. Microsoft reversed their bad decision in 12 hours and we are still getting ‘Well, Actually…’ posts 3+ days after it.

Yep. Although I somehow managed to not buy an Ouya.