Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

So I just got an XSX and am new to this back compat stuff. How does Red Dead Redemption run? Did they up-res it or anything?

It will run at 4K. Not sure what else they changed. The One X video for RDR and the XSX video for RDR2 should tell you what to expect.

(It’s only going to be better on XSX, but I don’t have one :( )

The XSX should be running the Xbox One Enhanced version and yes, they did increase resolution. I think they actually did a little more work on it than that, such as improved textures and more foliage. There’s a comparison vid on Youtube (released before the XSX).

Looked fantastic on the One X and I believe it ran at 60FPS.

Ok, just saw video was posted above. Correction, 30 FPS on One X. So probably 60 FPS on XSX.

They have both Supreme Commander 2 and Sacred 2, the latter which is hard to find playable even today (the Steam version seems to bug out / crash most of the time).

Ended up picking up RDR and it looks fantastic in 4K. Especially for a game from… 2010? Man I’m old.

XSX is definitely running the One X version at 4k / 30fps. It looks and runs brilliantly though. It really benefits from the SSD over the One X.

Gamestop finally updated their bundles to something more reasonable than Madden + Far Cry + NBA. The new bundle is:

• Console
  • Extra controller
  • $50 Gift card
  • 3 Months Game Pass Ultimate

for $650.

Still not as good as buying an unbundled console; good enough that I finally blew my trade-in credit from a PS4 Pro and launch Xbone to pick one up. Surprisingly was able to walk into a store and do it even.

Nice. Welcome to the current generation of consoles! And the beautiful piece of heat dissipation engineering.

Well I mean that’s all stuff I would end up getting anyway. I loath the bundles that put in games that I would never buy at retail price. AKA Madden… So congrats on a decent deal!

At this point I wonder if I’ll ever bother getting a Series X or PS5. Seems better to just finish upgrading my computer as aside from 1-2 games there’s nothing I’m super missing on the PS5. And most of the Series X stuff ends up on the PC anyway.

I think that is the right approach. Unless you have a really old computer and it’s going to cost you $1500+ to get modern, or you want to game in your living room, there really isn’t a reason to get an X or S in my opinion.

Ya now that I have the magical piece that is the GPU it just feels kind of pointless. I haven’t missed a console generation since well ever so maybe I’ll get a PS5 when you don’t have to shiv someone to get it. ;)

To be clear the only reason the PS4 got traded in is because I’ve had a PS5 since launch. :) The $350 or so they were offering didn’t hurt either.

It’s funny, I mentioned to the guy ringing me up that this bundle was way better than the last one (to your point, full of things I’d actually buy and without a markup) and he mentioned the company had received a lot of feedback along those lines and put together this new bundle.

I’m in a similar boat as you on PC upgrades, but sick of waiting for reasonably priced video cards. And since I had a couple older consoles collecting dust I went for the X.

My daughters laptop was dying and while she games she’s not a crazy hardcore gamer. So I got a prebuilt and swapped cards. Otherwise I’d still be looking at consoles. I certainly still paid way too much, but I give up at this point.

The old-timey disc version is backward compatible too, right? I bought it back when but only bought Undead Nightmare (awesome expansion BTW) “virtually.”

Yes, doesn’t matter if it’s disc or downloaded, it’s all the same.

How often are XBL Gold cards on sale? Newegg has 12 month subs for $10 off, $50 each.

I know you can sometimes find better, but how often am I likely going to have to wait for a better sale (without getting complicated with VPNs and sales in other countries)?

And in theory since I’ve never used GamePass, I can redeem three of these for 36 months of XBL Gold, and then still convert all of those to GamePass for like $1 or something?

It often goes on sale for $50. But rarely (maybe a couple of times a year) goes on sale for less than that, I feel.

Yes, you should be able to get 3 of these, and use all 3. Don’t take the offer to take an extra month if they offer it while you’re redeeming the first two, otherwise the 3rd one won’t work because it would put you past the max 36 months. And then convert it all to Game Pass Ultimate for $1. Correct.

Where are you seeing the $10 off on the 12 months of Live? I just looked on Newegg and saw no mention of it.

Was it a one-day thing?

It was a one day deal, sorry.