Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Because you said games were only available on the 360 marketplace and that’s not true.

Your reading is extremely narrow but sure - in case anyone else misunderstands me, if you want to play any of the games I listed above ON AN XBOX, you will no longer be able to buy them on the 360 storefront.

Please note that an Xbox is not actually required to play these games. Except for the ones that do require an Xbox.

I think Lost Odyssey as well.

I own both on disc though, and Lost Odyssey has been given away on Xbox Live Gold before, so most people likely already own a digital copy already. But I have both on disc, so I’m covered either way.

Is anyone else having weird update sizes?

I’ve got these paused in my XSS download queue:

DJ MAX V - 54.75 GB
Forza Horizon 5 - 118.18 GB

That’s definitely right for DJMAX. They still aren’t doing incremental patching so the updates are… large.

Has anybody noticed some weird power on/off behaviour with HDMI CEC recently? I’m wondering if it’s tied to the “woke” power settings update. Basically, I’ve got it set up to turn the TV and AVR on when I turn on a controller, and conversely to turn them off when I switch off the TV via remote. This worked fine until a week or so ago. Now I get two weird behaviours. One, when I turn the Xbox on, it also turns on my AppleTV*, and when I turn it off, after a very short pause it immediately turns the TV and AVR back on (but not the Xbox). Could be an issue with my AVR of course, but the timing was a little suspicious.

• Not 100% sure if it’s turning on the AppleTV per se, or turning on the AVR to the AppleTV input for some reason, which itself is triggering the AppleTV to turn on.

Martin Robinson thinks we should grab Daytona USA before it’s delisted. I think that’s one of the ones I never even thought about before.

Hm, I’m not familiar with it. Anyone played it?

Daytona? It’s one of of Sega’s arcade classics. As Virtua Racing in its day, it had impressive visuals and a great sense of speed. I’m not sure if it’s that interesting to anyone who didn’t grow up with it or is a die-hard fan of the genre. It’s Saturn-era graphics and the physics and driving model are what you’d expect from an arcade racer way back. And as it’s an arcade game, you only have 3 race tracks, one of which is a short and simple oval course. I don’t consider the option to play them in mirror mode as a big content boost.

Yeah, it was a spectacular arcade racer at the time, but there’s not really any reason to play it now but nostalgia.

As someone who didn’t grow up with it and who only really likes a handful of racing games, I found Daytona USA to still be extremely appealing when I picked up the Xbox 360 port on sale several years ago. It never stopped being a spectacular racing game.

I’ve got somewhat similar behavior. Turning on my Xbox often turns on the AppleTV and switches the LG OLED to display the AppleTV not the Xbox. I switch the TV back to the Xbox using the big (X) symbol button on the Xbox controller (not sure that may have required doing some setup on the Xbox).

I don’t recall seeing your other behavior though. When I turn the Xbox off, everything turns off, and at least so far it stays off.

Yup, happens to me too. Super annoying

It’s one of the greatest arcade games ever made and still 100% holds up today. You still find it in all sorts of places because it’s just that good. It’s not “nostalgia”. Your horse is too high.

I just think it’s been obsoleted, to use Tom’s favourite term. It’s a fantastic quarter-guzzling arcade racer, but it’s extremely simple and content-thin and like most such games was never designed to be played for more than a few minutes at a time. There are now countless arcade-style racers that are just as fun to drive but also offer more tracks, more cars, better graphics and even career modes if you want them. It may have them beat on the music front, I’ll grant.

As something to play in an arcade it might hold up, as a game to play on a PC or Xbox than it’s outdated and there are better options.

I don’t know if it’s on Xbox but those looking for an old school arcade racing experience could do a lot worse than Horizon Chase Turbo. It ate a whole Sunday of mine a few years ago.

More this and more that in games that are completely inferior in carefully crafted track design, nuanced handling, and presentation are wasting your time.

But I get it. Some people can’t help but look at videogames through the lens of software iteration, thinking that more features and more content somehow makes things “better”.

In this case, it absolutely does not. Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Scud Race/Super GT, Daytona 2: Battle on the Edge, and Toshihiro Nagoshi’s last arcade racer F-Zero AX/GX have few equals, and among them most were from NAMCO.

I read that Daytona isn’t being taken down until the 7th, but it’s not available from the store on my Series X. Do I have to jump thru hoops somehow to get this thing?

I had to get it from the website just now. On Xbox One and Series X it said it wasn’t available. Right now I don’t have my 360 controller handy in the living room to get it on the 360, so I got it on the website using my phone.