Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I’ve been passively eyeing this movie for the past half hour and there’s been no flickers. Before it was happening every few minutes. I’m going to pop in a 4k dvd now and see how it does.

This seems to be the fix! Hopefully I didn’t jinx it.

I didn’t understand all the settings in the video setup when I was getting my Series X going, but I found this video to be helpful.

My dude is explaining 4:2:2 compression and says, “for example, in Japanese Hentai the private parts are censored, so that is a really low bit depth.”

-__- I didn’t want to stereotype based on his thumbnail. I really didn’t.

I don’t know what Japanese Hentai is, but I do get ‘the private parts are censored’ so I didn’t dwell on that part too much. There is a good visual display later in the video (no private parts) showing how 4:2:2 works.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Wow, very interesting. I love the idea of a cheap emulation box that works without modding. I haven’t used emulation much since the days when I had access to my roommate’s modded Xbox (OG), and the emulators on there were excellent.

4O2c716

Vincent Teoh’s basically an unemployed professional TV calibrator who is one of the few technically proficient non-TV industry reviewers who gained a big following because of his technical analysis, and has turned to making YouTube videos for a living during COVID.

His silly jokes are sort of the “where’s Waldo” moments of his scripts and are meant for his presumably younger-than-he’s-used-to audience.

(Oh, and i sort of know what Hentai is abstractly, though i’ve never seen it. I’m pretty sure it involves tentacles (don’t @ me).)

My Infinity War 4k dvd has been running for like an hour an a half now with no hiccups. That 4:2:2 thing seems to have been the fix I needed.

TIL there are multiple kinds of HDMI, and my TV from last year doesn’t support the newest one (2.1).

I ran into the HDMI 2.1 thing when looking at getting a new 4K tv to go with my xbox. It doesn’t seem to be a big deal except you can’t do 4K 120hz without HDMI 2.1. Unfortunatly, I was hoping to spend around $500-600 for a new TV and it seems like all the ones that have 2.1 are all closer to $1000 still. Decided to wait to see how many games start supporting 4K 120 and if it becomes common then buy a new TV later when 2.1 is more standard.

Sometimes cables are just bad.

I mean, it’s not like they are ALL bad… but it’s a thing that can happen.

That’s an unfortunate tag line. I guess props for owning poor build quality?

Yeah, props for owning up to it. As it currently is, it’s always a fight between my nieces and nephews who gets to use the controllers with the left thumbstick drift that makes it impossible to play well in Overcooked.

Nah, it’s a reference to going to a friend’s house and being stuck with the crappy Mad Catz (or worse) controller their parents bought because it was the cheapest one.

I’m extremely jealous that you both missed it!

He he. Indeed. Must be nice never having had to experience that. :D

See also: Wii knock off controllers. Those made me sad.

Well I thought I had the problem fixed, but it’s back. Playing Minecraft with the kids and the screen is flickering black like once a minute.

The Verge has an interview of Phil Spencer on their decoder podcast. Pretty interesting listen if you have the time. There is a transcript too:

If you are pressed for time, EG has some interesting highlights on the launch (and why neither MS or Sony are happy with how preorders / release day went), XBox streaming to your smart TV and the destructive tribalism that can exist between platforms:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-24-microsoft-and-sony-bosses-both-lamented-how-next-gen-console-pre-orders-went

Here’s a big ass thread of people having the same flickering problem. It’s not my cable.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/seriesx-blackscreen-flickering/a514b4b2-e340-4b0f-947e-d837feb79391?page=1