Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

That’s it’s own stupid longtime limitation that Microsoft have never really been forced to answers questions about.

If you only care about playing Fortnite… you can play it on a potato, and probably don’t need any next gen console.

Because it’s fucking fortnite.

But an Xbox Series S, or even an Xbox One S would have been a simple entry point to do so on a TV. Now BOTH are a laughably bad deal for that purpose.

Yet more internet hyperbole. Xbox Series S still makes a pretty decent and reasonably affordable Game Pass box.

We were talking about people who wanted a cheap entry point for F2P games. Not people who want a cheap entry point to carry a $15/month subscription into perpetuity.

Yes, adding ‘for that purpose’ was a good edit.

I didn’t edit my post. That’s what it always said.

I’ll take your word for it.

I don’t think any next gen console is a really good “cheap entry point” for F2P games.

Seriously though, this is all kind of moot.

If you get any XBox, you absolutely should get Gamepass Ultimate, via the shennanigans of banking Gold (especially now, before the price changes).

It’s unquestionably the best deal in gaming. Do that.

I understand the notion of resenting MS for trying to push people in that direction… cool. But seriously. Get gamepass. It’s crazy.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying. All consoles today require some kind of subscription to play online. Admittedly, if all you care about is online access and want only to play FtP games, this is cheaper on Sony and Nintendo. But such a person might well be better off getting a used gaming laptop for 300$ if this price sensitive.

A used laptop for $300 is going to 1. have crappy integrated graphics, and 2. Not be a good solution to playing on a TV. For the scenario we’re talking about a PS4 slim is easily the best option.

This is not correct, Sony does not require a subscription to play Free to Play games online, so you could get a Playstation and play Warframe, Fortnite, Apex Legends etc without Plus.

When you’re bringing up crappy laptops as an option to a powerful videogame console, you’ve walked right off the reservation.

Also, @Timex, we get it, you want to sell more Game Pass subscriptions. It’s not the be all end all for everyone. You believe that. Great. Browbeating everyone all the time just makes you sound like you’re paid to say that here.

What about people who typically only buy Call of Duty and Madden each year? They don’t want or need a game discovery service, especially at three times what they used to pay just to play online with their buddies.

Holy shit, we’ve certainly got the Sony crowd in a frenzy. How about sure, whoever these hypothetical people are that only play F2P games and really need to play them on a TV set, yeah they should totally get a PS4 or something. So stipulated.

I am fascinated to learn about these mythical creatures that want to buy a next-gen system to only play Fortnite or F2P games. Please add me to your newsletter subscription.

My co-workers’ kids it seems. One coworker got his kid a PS5 and he just plays Fortnite on it, the other got his a Series X and likewise his kid is just playing mostly Fortnite as well.

I was going to say this seems like an intense conversation about something that shouldn’t cost anything at all, but that’s nice that Sony throws people a bone and doesn’t charge for F2P at least.

Anyway, I’ll keep eating this popcorn while watching the fireworks. I bought the $7 large because the medium for $5.75 is a really shitty price.

I think Nintendo does the same too and allows free to play games without Nintendo Switch Online membership or whatever they’ve named their service.

Yeah, the “Sony crowd” is in a “frenzy” for checks notes pointing out that doubling the price of Gold is a bad deal for consumers.