Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Yes, but I have two Xbox Series X’s and only one PS5, so.

Yep, PS4, two Series X, Switch, and theC64 here, but also skipped the Ouya, though I followed it.

I think I came to my senses and didn’t pre-order a Play Date, but that was so long ago, I might have one coming. I’ll find out, I guess.

I’m sorry a few of you can’t seem to interpret accurate descriptions of the Xbox division’s behavior as anything but “anti-Xbox bitching”. Honestly, that’s more telling of your mentality than mine. I mean, they tried to do something so monumentally stupid they had to backpedal within hours, but I’m the crazy fanboy for criticizing the leadership, not you and divedivedive in here trying to argue nothing was wrong?

I wouldn’t keep responding if a few people in this thread could stop equivocating and bothsidesing what happened, trying to score forum points. For example:

I guess my coverage hasn’t been fair and balanced enough. Must be fake news…

Nah man, it’s you. You’re the only crazy zealot in this thread.
I don’t think anyone else here actually cares about any kind of console war crap. We just like playing games. You’re the only one with some kind of weird allegiance to a giant mega corporation.

I do like the “I’m sorry you’re so stupid” apology, though. That’s top notch.

Yeah, that’s definitely why you guys spent all that time trying to tear down anything negative I’ve said about MS, and resort to ad hominem attacks. Because you don’t care so much.

I am excited about my new Xbox X coming sometime this week. Tell me what games I need, or something instead of dragging this debate on.

Got Fenyx Rising today since it was $30 on Amazon. Tempted to try it on the Xbox One tonight. What is the must have game?

But that was exactly my point… you inspire stupid console war garbage, because you say stuff that’s so bonkers, like this:

Like, this is nutso for two reasons.

First, the idea that you self-identify as a playstation customer is just… weird, dude. And that you say that you feel good about it is ever weirder. I buy lots of stuff from lots of companies, including Sony, but I don’t really internalize that into an aspect of who I am. It’s just stuff I buy.

But then the second aspect of this that’s so weird is that, as people who buy stuff from Sony, the idea that they never do anything stupid is just… obviously wrong. Because we all have personal, recent experiences with Sony doing stupid things that resulted in negative experiences for us as consumers.

And we’re able to say that, because Sony is just a company that makes stuff that we buy. Criticizing them is not an attack on our own personal beings, because… it’s just a giant, faceless mega corporation. It doesn’t gives a shit about us, or you.

In terms of this most recent dumb suggested move by MS, the big thing from most folks here, was that we didn’t really care. Because none of us have XBox gold. It’s not a thing that impacts any of us.

But then it became even more meaningless, because they didn’t actually end up doing it.

Pretty sure you want Gamepass :)

Seconded!

As far as I know the Play Date still hasn’t taken preorders. It better not have, I want one!

I know that was a joke, but I really don’t want another sub, is it really a must have at this point?

Yeah, this is what you want, Lee.

If you can still do the thing where you stock up on Gold and convert at 1:1, do that. 3 years of Gamepass ultimate for $5 a month will set you up for a long time, and you’ll get access to a bunch of games that are already optimized for the XSX.

You can always go with less than 3 years, but you’ll then have to pay full price sooner. If you can afford the price of 3 games now, you’ll be set with all the MS in house games for the next 3 years… which is gonna be more than 3 games, right?

Minimally, right now, you’ll get access to stuff like Forza Horizons 4, which looks and plays awesome on the XSX. Plus games like No Man’s Sky, which I played on the PS4, and probably wouldn’t have bought again… but since it was “free”, I started playing it on the XSX and it’s much better than the last time I played it. Also, Medium is coming out this week, and looks pretty slick. If you’re interested in 3 of the MS games coming out, like Halo, or Flight sim, or the bethesda stuff… then getting gamepass is gonna break even on cost for you just on that stuff. And then everything else is just free bonus stuff.

Ok, I had to Google Play date because I’ve never heard of it. And now I’m pretty sure you guys are putting me on - it’s a handheld system with a crank?

I went to see to see about that 3 year deal of Game Pass using my Mac. The web page won’t work even using Edge…

I dunno what page you’re talking about, but all you need to do is check to see if gamepass is still converting XBL Gold time at 1:1… I think it is?

As long as it is, you just make an xbl account, buy 3 years of gold time via give cards on amazon or wahtever, load them into the account, then activate gamepass. (you’ll also get an extra month for a dollar)

Oh, also I realize I’m not supposed to sell folks on gamepass. I honestly don’t get paid by MS for this. It’s just a really good deal.

Just searched for Game Pass, and hit the sign up button. It’s not working on my PC either though. Not sure what the deal is. Will research this gold thing.

Ok, so one thing to warn you about…

Assuming the conversion still works, you need to set up your XBL account, and load it up with XBL Gold time BEFORE you sign up for ultimate.

Once you sign up for ultimate, then you have to pay the normal price. Technically you can still buy XBL Gold time and it will convert, but it converts at the reduced rate.

That’s why you need to load up on the max amount that it will convert, of 3 years of Gold time, first… then upgrade to Gamepass Ultimate. That first time you activate gamepass, it converts gold time at 1:1.

Or, at least that’s how it worked in November.

I just checked, and it talks about converting a max of 36 months at the current conversion rate, but I’m not sure what that was… back in November, it was 1:1, but even then the “normal” conversion rate was less… so I don’t know what rate they’re doing during initial upgrade.

Make sure you know what they’re doing though, I don’t want you to get screwed by paying for 3 years of service if it’s not giving the significant advantage of the lower rate. I mean, gamepass is still a cool deal, it’s just not the crazy deal.

EDIT:
It looks like the deal is still going, based on this, which is recent as of December 17…
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/upgrading-from-xbox-live-gold-to-game-pass/d619d709-6a62-4632-8f71-5a8ee88ea88b?auth=1

Which cites this…
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot:faqtab

Which says…

What happens to my prepaid months of Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass for Console or PC when I join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate?
When you join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, we will apply any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold and/or Xbox Game Pass for Console or PC toward Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, up to a maximum of 36 months.

For example, if you have 3 months of Xbox Live Gold and 3 months of Xbox Game Pass for Console already on your account when you purchase your first month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, you will have a total of 7 months of Ultimate on your account before you need to renew your membership.

So it looks like you want to make your account ( you can do this on PC or whatever… I still had my old account around from my 360 days)… then buy 36 months of gold time (I did this via amazon, but there are sometimes other places you can buy gold time at a discounted price, which would make it even crazier), and add it to the account via the web… then upgrade to ultimate. But again, check the small print for yourself, don’t take my word for it.

Good luck stormin’ the castle, Lee!

What Timex said. Don’t sign up for game pass yet. Get Gold for whatever period you’re comfortable with, 1 year, 2 years, then pay $1 to convert it to Ultimate Game Pass.

Thanks guys, I started to do it, then thinking of the money I have already spent this month I pulled back. Need to think about this.

Edit: That said, I was going to buy a game, so I think I will just put that $60 on Gold and covert it.