Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Like maybe software releases will be for both? Just seems weird that there’d be games for “series x”. Pure conjecture (I.e. probably wrong). The whole thing just makes no sense

Here’s the official blip:

I wouldn’t infer too much from the name at this point. Xbox 360 didn’t mean anything, neither did Xbox One. It’s all marketing.

That Hellblade game was really annoying because of the narrator and voices yelling at you.

I still don’t understand how they’re going to make this $499 or less next year with all that hardware.

According to the press release, backward compatibility is confirmed. Not that I imagine this surprises anyone, just good to have confirmation.

12x6 the reported dimensions.

FWIW from @Telefrog”s link

We also designed Xbox Series X to support both vertical and horizontal orientation

Still seems like it would be awfully tall even on its side though. I guess it will fit in my TV stand on its side if it doesn’t need a lot of clearance. It sure won’t standing up.

How long till someone tries to cook on top of it?

Not everything has been given a dramatic makeover, however. The new Xbox controller shipping with Series X consoles looks a lot like the old one. The biggest difference, from a distance, is the addition of a share button in the middle, implemented to help you quickly share your gaming moments with friends. I was also told that the transition from the face of the controller to the top and over to the back is more rounded than before, which is likely more of an aesthetic feature than an ergonomic one–we’ll have to wait and see.

Getting down to the details, Spencer had the following to say about the controller’s new features: “There were certain things that we’ve learned through doing the Elite controller and just listening to fans. One of them is on the d-pad we have a new hybrid d-pad that we’ve been working on that we think is important, so you’ll get a sense of that in the new Xbox wireless controller. We do have a share button. We’ve heard the feedback. We’re not the first ones to do a share button, so we’re not going to say that we invented that, but we’ve heard feedback that sharing is such a part of a gaming experience now for many of our players that I wanted a dedicated hardware button to share, so you’ll see that. We’ll still have all the rumble triggers and haptic feedback that you’ve had in the console before.”

Spencer also noted that while the current Xbox One controller fits the majority of hands, according to Microsoft’s research, the new design is ever-so-slightly smaller in subtle ways to increase that coverage from 95% to 98%. And in terms of cross-compatibility, not only will Xbox One controllers work on Series X, but its new controller will also function on Xbox One consoles and on PCs.

Looks like an ASUS or Linksys Velop router:

I thought it was kind of uncool for them to use the same narration as the game Everything.

I’ll break the grumpfest and say what I feel: Wow! Cool new shape! Count me in.

I was hoping consoles would be dead by now.

Apple’s (now dead) AirPort Extreme says hi.

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/apple-airport-extreme-2060x1158.jpg

It looks awesome but it is a bit hard to see the practicality as yet. I wonder how it’s laid out in there. If airflow is supposed to be bottom to top there must be plenty of vertical gaps.

Clearly they want us to call it the Xbox SeX and we should all resist this with every fibre of our beings.

Yay, an Xbrick.

Still going to buy one.

Yup, that and/or SexBox

Looks alright, but I wouldn’t call a black mini fridge “bold” like Gamespot.

So they imply that the name gives them freedom for products within the series… which is confusing. Surely a budget or premium model down the road will not be called “Xbox Series Y” right? Everything compatible would be with the same series. So… how does this help with diff models?