Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

You must be already signed in. Their sign-in servers seem to be down, so I can’t even log in to download Game Pass games or anything right now. I suppose I could play some games offline. A lot of games don’t handle that well these days.

Yeah I signed in around 2PM ET or so, I guess? Maybe it sticks around.

Yeah I can’t sign in, what a drag. Wanted to play that Outriders demo.

Question, from someone who hasn’t used an Xbox since the 360. Is there really no phone app that works as a keyboard for text entry? I have to laboriously type shit out like a caveman?

Seems fixed for me.

Yes, I got in about an hour ago.

Exactly. Bought one for my youngest son, whose original XB1 was wheezing and chugging on current games like Destiny 2 and COD. He has no complaints beyond the limited internal storage and occasional controller disconnects that require a hard boot to restore connectivity. But neither of those issues are about processing power.

Limited storage is a real thing, with game pass, for sure. I filled it up in less than a day.

Tossing an old SSD into an enclosure is a decent stop-gap solution. Load times in games like Yakuza Kiwami were as good or better than what I got using the same drive w/ an XB1X.

If I cared I would do that, but I can redownload games extremely quickly. These are all game pass stuff so it’s all disposable.

The fact that you can store games on an external drive is helpful - even if it’s just “cold storage” for next gen games so you don’t have to redownload them.

This is for iOS, but I assume Android works similarly. If you have the Xbox app on your cell phone or tablet and switch to the “My Library” section you should see a “Consoles” tab. Click on it and then click on “Open Remote Control”. There’s a keyboard listed there and you can type into applications that usually bring up the Xbox virtual keyboard. Unfortunately some games/apps seem to have their own keyboard schemes and those don’t seem to work with the Xbox app’s remote keyboard.

I actually find it easier to just have a wireless USB keyboard sitting around my TV, but it has the same limitation with games/apps that have their own text entry scheme.

Ahh thank you, that’s exactly what I wanted.

Hey, right now, Gamestop has the XSX in stock, but only for the bundle with the 2 years of gamepass.

It’s a worse deal than if you load up 3 years of XBL and convert it, but it’s a better deal than if you bought it straight up. Subracting the cost of the gamepass, this monthly cost ends up being less than the normal list price of an XSX.

I mean yeah, but you can get 3 years of game pass for $151. I did it last Thursday.

It’s not a great deal compared to the crazy XBL deal, but it’s better than paying a scalper.

I only see a paying over time deal. 35/month for 24 months. So 500 for the XSX and 340 for the GamePass subscription (which obviously includes Gold, right)? I wonder if you get a better price paying up front.

And yes, it is better than paying a scalper.

Much better than paying a scalper, but finding an XSX at MSRP1 isn’t all that hard. I got one in less than two weeks of trying. Of course you need to weigh whether that effort and frustration is worth saving $189.

1: Actually I got it for $371, because Amazon shipped it UPS ground, I complained, and they refunded an entire year of Prime.

Ya, that’s the only deal they got going.

You used the Hotstock app and the Amazon Prime one on your phone, right (just to refresh my memory)?

I’m not in a big hurry because RL stuff is keeping me from having a lot of time to game, but IF that should change…