Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Hey all, for anyone like me who busted out their old OG Xbox Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time disc to play on their Series X, and finished the game (I just did last night), the backward compatibility of the headliner game doesn’t extend to the unlockable original PoP game. :sadface: I could hear the original chiptune music + sound effects but alas, the image was all corrupted.

BTW, playing this got me interested in going back to PoP: Warrior Within which I have on Steam, and is BALLS HARD. Geez Louise. It’s made for masochists. Much more involved combat, but they ruined the aesthetic of the first game with all the grimdark.

Not to mention that the “bikini armor” is just embarrassing. This is a real model on the runway (presumably at an Ubisoft press event?) sporting the outfit of the “Bad Bond Girl” that you have to fight in the game:

Ya, the original PoP: Sands of Time was a masterpiece. Just a brilliantly done game in all aspects. The sequel was a dissapointment by comparison, although not really a bad game taken on its own. It just failed to capture the magic of Sands of Time.

It really is a classic. I introduced that game to my daughter at a fairly young age.

The controller is like half her size there! Was it “The Duke” (the original controller) or the somewhat smaller revised version?

Crazy to think that your daughter’s probably off to college by now (or getting close), since that game came out in 2003.

(Actually it must be The Duke because I can see that the placement of the black and white buttons is different than the controllers I [still] have.)

It didn’t just fail to capture the magic. It looked at SoT, and then deliberately made the wrong choice with every change it made.

Well, I did appreciate not having to retrieve the sand from every downed enemy. But I could have done without the heavy metal combat music, the aforementioned bikini armor, and the hero’s badditude:

https://images.app.goo.gl/wGh762PBkvigioUr7

haha awesome pic

So, did she ever play it?

I’d encourage you to keep going if you can. It’s tough, yes, but very rewarding if you get through it. I’m a broken record on this forum about my love for Warrior Within, so I’ll just quote myself a few times.

So yeah, try taking my advice in that last post. I remember most enemies being hard to defeat but they all hung out near ledges, and you could throw them off the ledge much faster than it took to defeating them.

Well, I guess you really liked that game! To keep from derailing the thread further, though, I’m going to PM you a couple of questions about it. :-)

Way to math it out! She just committed to college but is planning a gap year first. We all agreed she would benefit from some more life/work/travel experience that the pandemic year robbed from her. I’ll have to get the old Xbox out for her. After this pic was taken, she eventually figured out opposable thumbs but never got back into Prince of Persia.

Those controllers were crazy huge. I just remember loving the break-away cables that prevented accidents from people tripping over them.

As it turned out, this baby fell far from the videogaming tree. It wasn’t until baby #2 that I got a proper gamer. I knew this was true when she was about five years old. She got so pissed off while gaming that she chucked an Xbox One controller across the room and broke it. That’s called PASSION!

The only real want I have for Xbox is true HDR UI screens. The PS5 feels so much more next gen because the UI looks amazing and colorful, no matter how dorky it is to actually use.

I really wish they’d fix the refresh on the recently updated queue screen. It doesn’t update properly when something has finished downloading. Seems to refresh on subsequent downloads or a console restart. This has been an issue in the previous gen too - I had it on Xbox One X as well.

Wireless headsets are in stock at Target.com, just ordered one myself.

As most reviews have said, it’s a very nice set for the price. My only complaints are that the grip on the head is pretty strong and the pads are on the plastic-y side and can cause sweaty ears after a long session. It’s not going to outshine a Bose QuietComfort 35, but that’s not it’s price point. The ability to wirelessly sync directly w/ an Xbox w/o any need to mess w/ BT or change settings on your main BT headset makes it a nice deal.

That’s a lot of games. I see Alien: Isolation and Deus Ex Mankind Divided, may need to load those up and take a look.

Two games stood out to me because they have FPS boost for Xbox Series S but not X, not something you usually see.

60 fps for both MotoGP 20 and Steep. But only for Series S, not X. Weird.

They may already be 60 FPS on X, I’m not really sure.

Hmmm, possibly through a X1X enhancement, yes. That’s possible. I looked up the X1X enhanced games page, but it actually only lists 4K and HDR enhancements. It mentions that games might get a better framerate but doesn’t list that in the table. I bet you’re right.

Need to ask someon with better Google-fu than me for some help. I’m trying to find out if there is a driver that would allow the Xbox MK9 tournament stick work on a series x. I found stuff for PC and even Playstation but nothing on xbox. Is there a way to update it? Plug and play doesn’t do much other than light up the x