Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I would assume one game worked flawlessly without any effort and the other didn’t.

I don’t understand the question. Both are BC.

Oh? I saw AC 1 and AC III Remastered (at least on the tab I had opened-- has it been updated recently?) Didn’t see AC 2.

To the best of my knowledge, all AC games are BC (ha) on Xbox One/Series X and S. I own AC2 and I see it in my library.

Thanks. As it turns out I had the following link open and not the one you provided just a few posts upthread:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Microsoft has previously stated that their backward compatibility code can handle every game in the library. The issue is licensing. The language in the contract of the original games didn’t have any provision for back compat, so that right needs to be negotiated after the fact.

Given the complexities of modern copyright I’m kind of surprised anything actually made it.

Oh I doubt that very much, particularly for OG Xbox and 360 games. Even for Xbone games I would be shocked if there weren’t exceptions that need to a human to go in and tune for optimal play.

It gets even more complicated if there are licensed music tracks. Those contracts never imagined anything like BC.

Optimal play, sure. If you have any 360 or OG Xbox games installed on your Xbone or Series X/S, you’ll see that they continue to get periodic updates. They seem to be continously working on the wrapper that runs the game, even though new games aren’t being released to BC. It’s pretty much down to licensing issues at this point, as Mellified points out.

Yah, I have my 360 still for a few games, most notably, Rock Band: Beatles.

My Elite controller is dying again. Same issue as before, joystick drift. This one lasted about a year before it showed up.

For a $200 I want this thing to last longer than a year. They want $99 to replace it with a refurbished one. Total bullshit.

My other option is to crack it open and follow some youtube video to try to fix it myself.

That’s probably what stopped the Saboteur from being on the list, given that Nina Simone’s cover of “Feelin’ Good”* is on there among other things, including “Caravan” sung by (I’m guessing, because it sounds like her voice) Ella Fitzgerald.

*which song somehow fell into a wormhole and ended up on car radios in 1940 Paris despite having had its premiere in a show on the London stage in 1964.

I think Alpha Protocol, The Sabateur and Rock Band 3 are the main non-backwards compatible games left on the 360 that I still want to get to. I’m sure I’m missing something else, but those are the three main ones that come to mind.

Exactly, I imagine getting that last 5% requires some human intervention on many Xbox and 360 titles. Perhaps less on Xbone, as it’s the exact same thing as the XSX just slower.

Just from my personal collection, I’d also need Mercenaries 2, Star Trek (yes, it’s crap, but I still like it), Beautiful Katamari and Project Sylpheed, plus a bunch of arcade stuff like Fez, Renegade Ops, etc.

Wait, Mercenaries 2 doesn’t run right (or at all)? I have it and messed with it for an hour or so back when I got it but it didn’t seem to have the charm of the first game, which I’m anxious to check out, since it’s been enhanced.

No, oddly enough the original Mercenaries (which was an OG Xbox game) will run on Xbox One/Series X and S. But Mercenaries 2, a 360 game, will not. Bums me out.

Well, yeah, I own those too, and haven’t played them, but I figure I probably never will now.

Still, I would try Mercenaries 2. The Xbox 360 didn’t have a system level way of reprogramming buttons on the controller like the XB1 and Series Consoles do. My brain just couldn’t handle pressing A to accelerate in vehicles. I have to assign that to right trigger. I couldn’t do that on 360, but if it ever became backwards compatible, I could on Series X.

I’m guessing that never got a Windows version, did it?* I never heard of one.

*unless it’s Just Cause 2 :rimshot:

I adored the original Mercenaries BTW. So much fun, and the score was just epic. I think I picked the Chinese woman avatar.