Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Um, I don’t see such a tab. Is this Series only?

No (except for some games maybe?). You might see a promo card for it on the main dashboard for the Xbox when you start it up. Those frequently change/rotate though so I heard that if you search for ‘demo’ in the store you should get the full list.

Major Nelson also has a fairly comprehensive list of the Summer Games Fest demos:

The way I did it last night:

Store → Games → scroll down and there’s a demo category once you’re in the games subcategory → press X to “See All”, which sorts it so the most recent is at the top.

Not for me there isn’t. I see Games Home, Pride, Add-ons, Subscriptions, New games, Coming soon, Top paid, Top free, Most played, Game specials and By genre

Never mind. The “tab” nomenclature was confusing me. I’ve found a Game Fest card.

Hey this might be cool. Are these related to the old NES Blaster Master games?

Yes. Played the first one on Switch a couple years ago and it’s pretty good. Same mix of 2D platforming in the tank with top-down shooter segments on foot.

Blaster Master Zero is a remake of the NES game, and then the other two are brand-new sequels. I’m extremely excited for BMZ3.

How are you guys playing FPS games these days? The last one I tried was Black OPs on Wii U, and I still hate the controller shooting. Has the controller dynamic changed or gotten better in the last decade? There are plenty of shooters in the Xbox library I’d like to try, if somehow aiming got better.

Also, is backward compatibility on the XseriesX only digital purchases, or can you buy old discs off ebay or whatever?

Fwi the other day I tried playing Wolfenstein New Order on XSX with controller and I just couldnt do it. I hear great things about gyro aiming on splatoon 2 on the switch however, bot that that helps :)

Oh, yes, using the gyro on the Wii U controller for bow aiming in BotW was fantastic, and made all the difference, I assume the same thing on Switch. You put your reticle in the general right place using the thumbstick, and you did the incremental adjustments by moving your controller slightly. Prevented all that horrible strafing and overmoving the aim reticle thing that happens on other consoles. I guess that’s what I’m asking, if Xbox/PS have made similar advances (since I haven’t had a console other than Wii U since the 360 back in '08).

Xbox at least has no gyro, not even in the pro controller. Ps i think has it, and it works great on pc games, but no enabled on ps weirdly (this is from the top of my head)

I would never want to use a gyro for aiming in any real shooter.

Using a gamepad to play a shooter is just something you need to get used to. It’s absolutely effective, it just takes you getting used to using the control scheme.

Gyro has potential but you need to approach it different and for us olds may be too hard to retrain the brain. The big mistake is people try to use gyro for traditional access to basically replace right stick/mouse when they should be doing this.

Seems weird to have a gamepad control scheme that only works on PC, when you have M+K on PC.

Seems like it’d be messy, even if wrapped the tzatziki sauce gets everywhere.

It’s a proof of concept, it’s up to developers of Switch/PS4/PS5 to implement it on consoles. PC is where mods happen, it’s where all the weird/cool kinnect shit got done too.

And never implemented on consoles…

As long as the game is listed on their Backwards Compatibility list, you can use an old disc. The console will then download the updated game.

Even on the PS4, the gyro was just a gimmick. It never made it into being a primary control mechanism, and was always just bolted on.

That’s mainly because it doesn’t really work that well. It’s not like the Wii where you were holding it in a single hand… the fact that you are holding it in both hands, and it’s quite heavy by comparison, means it just never really functioned well as a main control mechanism. Games generally did little gimmicky things with it, like tilting maps or crap. I seem to recall Demon Souls having some little mechanism for doing emotes that worked maybe half the time.

The idea of using it for flipping your aim around is interesting, but I feel like it’d just be another gimmick when used for real. To really leverage gyro aiming, I think you need to go with a split controller design like the Wii or Switch.