Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

I tried Tunic which I thought was pretty decent. I might pick it up when it comes out, depending on what it’s going for. I also tried Sail Forth, which in some ways feels like a pretty reasonable sailing game, but then I noticed that the wind seems to shift around so it’s always coming from somewhere behind you. Very strange.

I took a chance and bought the game from a 3rd party norwegian store, and behold, I now have Spelunky HD installed on my Series X! It actually feels slightly more difficult on xbox compared to steam, somehow.

Dark Alliance and a new Worms game coming this week on Gamepass, for folks who may have forgotten.

I fired up the console for the first time in a few days last night. And the Microsoft Rewards app just refused to load the first few times. Then it finally did load after a loooooooooong load time. I don’t know what’s going on. I think it had something to do with network connections because I tried to fire up a game and got a network error.

Still, it was unnerving to see the normally super-fast Series X behaving that way.

Known issue. Unknown resolution, unfortunately.

Good to know it wasn’t just me, I was very frustrated with the app last night.

Xbox Games with Gold July lineup announced • Eurogamer.net
Planet Alpha! Rock of Ages 3! Conker! Midway Arcade Origins!

At least I don’t own all of them.

I already own Planet Alpha and Conker. I didn’t care for the original Rock of Ages, so I have no interest in 3.

Apparently the Doom Eternal Series X|S upgrade is out today. I suppose now is a good time to see what all the hubbub is about in these modern Doom games, but I’m having too much fun with BioMutant and Sunless Skies. Oh, well, onto the backlog it goes.

Not sure Gamepass games are part of the classic backlog… Is it, like, all of them?

Eh. For me, not really. Sure, there are try-day-one games. Then there are games I’m interested in or see a use-case for, like co-op stuff I might play with my gal. There are games I vaguely think I might try someday, like Doom Eternal just because I want a fairly mindless graphics showcase. And there is a ton of stuff I know I’m never going to touch. Those last aren’t in the backlog.

Is this the second recent Doom? Some of the jumpy bits aren’t that mindless :) Enjoy!

I had never heard of Midway Arcade Origins before today, but I’m pretty excited after looking at the games offered in that collection.

It has Spy Hunter! And apparently there was a Spy Hunter II ! I have to try that out. Also Defender and Defender II. Also, I enjoyed Joust, but apparently there’s also a Joust II.

It’s one of the two I already had. The emulation of the games is done well, was not hitchy at all on my 1X

Man Doom is confusing as hell to someone who hasn’t kept up with it. There’s the Doom 2016(?) version, and then a bunch of other stuff, including versions that seem intentionally low poly art style? which makes it very hard to tell at a glance what is new, a remake, a remaster, or retro.

There’s only 3 games that came out in the last few years:

DOOM (2016) - came out in 2016!
Doom Eternal - direct sequel to DOOM (2016) - just got enhanced with ray tracing
Doom 64 - originally released on Nintendo 64, now released on all other platforms along with Doom Eternal last year. (This is likely the one you’re referring to with the low poly art style, since it was designed for the N64).

Doom Eternal is the sequel to Doom 2016? Man, on Gamepass it looked like a half-baked remake of a 20 year old game. Graphics were terrible.

I think there must have been some kind of mistake. I don’t think there’s any possible way someone could consider Doom Eternal’s graphics terrible.

When i get time i’ll reinstall and look again. The tutorial area looked like trash, whatever game that was, so bad i just assumed the game was some weird retro thing and uninstalled.

You start on a ship that’s just straight line corridors for a minute. You’re out of it and into a city (that’s impressive) within five minutes, though. Maybe you just didn’t play past that. Seriously, it’s like five minutes at most, and that’s if you even really stop to read the popup tutorials.