Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

That aside there’s a noticeable difference between games designed with it in mind and those that aren’t. I don’t really think anything on the Xbox really does yet (nothing I’ve tried anyway)but several things on PS5 have like Returnal, Ratchet, or even the Demon’s Souls Remake. Deathloop felt old and last gen with all its loading screens even if they were brief.

MS has said that other drive manufacturers will provide their own storage cards, which might helpfully push the prices down. Still waiting for that cavalry to arrive.

I’ve seen the 1TB drive get around $180 or $190 on sale, so maybe that $400 will occasionally drop to $350? Still expensive, but a bit more reasonable.

That 512GB definitely needs to drop to $100 (or lower) on sale.

No games on XSX or PS5 are anything that couldn’t be run on a gaming PC even on Windows 10 without DirectStorage. In fact, very few couldn’t be run on an Xbone/PS4, just with lower quality graphics at lower framerates. Only games that I doubt would run well on a last-gen console are The Medium and Ratchet & Clank, the Medium for its split-screen GPU requirements and Ratchet due to lacking a SSD.

I suppose the Medium could be done at greatly compromised resolution. Like 720p on a XboneX, but I can’t imagine Ratchet working without a SSD. Not a super-fast NVMe gen4 SSD, not with hardware texture decompression, just any SATA3 SSD.

October 2021

Release date: 10/21/2021

OS version: 10.0.22000.2655 (xb_flt_2110co.211018-1230) / Shell version: 2110.0.2110.13002

4K dashboard on Xbox Series X

With this update, players with an Xbox Series X connected to a 4K display will see the dashboard natively rendered in 4K. You can experience 4K while browsing Home, My games & apps, the guide, and many other experiences. UI elements on the screen, such as game art and buttons, will have increased sharpness and improved text readability.

Xbox night mode

Xbox night mode adjusts light sources to help keep rooms dark at night and support gamers who are sensitive to light. You can dim and customize the light from the connected display, the power button on your controller, and the power light on your console. Or create a night mode schedule that dynamically switches between Dark and Light themes.

To start using night mode, open the guide and go to Settings > General > TV & display options > Night mode .

This seems like a no-brainer for Nvidia… why were they blocking the edge browser before?’

Also, this means that people can play New World on the Xbox?

Unknown, doesn’t seem that Nvidia ever really said why it was blocked.

I’m not super clear on GeForce Now, and how it works, but it seems like it’s a service you can optionally pay for that lets you run games you already own on other platforms like Steam?

Ah, at first I thought they had the remastered Demon Souls on Steam, but that’s just Dark Souls. That would have been funny.

That is correct but you don’t have to even pay, there is a free version that just limits your game time. The pay versions give you more game time and priority for higher end machines.

I should set up an account and see how it plays on the XBox. I’ve got a buddy who wanted us to come play New World, but a bunch of us have outdated gaming rigs, and lack the motivation to upgrade.

Well, MS just updated Xbox Edge with Chromium Edge. Previously it was running the Trident version of Edge. So maybe that was a reason?

Is anyone else having XBL problems? My Series X is connected to the Internet, but it won’t let me connect despite repeated restarts.

I just attempted to test this, but it seems that the XSX Edge browser is currently shown as unsupported by GeForce now.

Does having Edge with discord mean its now possible to voice chat with other discord users on PC? Hopefully that will happen someday if not already there.

It’s amazing that a year later it’s still almost impossible to find a Series X. Series S, however, is everywhere.

I installed Avengers and it was 140 GB. The 500 GB drive on that thing just ain’t gonna cut it, and if you buy the expansion drive you might as well have got the Series X. These aren’t new revelations, I know, but the oddness of the S is really apparent to me now. I think it was a mistake.

It’s been fine for me. I had an older 1T usb drive I use, but I honestly have almost nothing on it. But I also don’t have many of the heavy storage games installed like Avengers. Since I’m planning on getting BF2142 on Xbox that will change soon.

I got a series s for my dad, and it’s been great. He has no need for 4k, so having cheap access to next gen games is cool. It’s a large upgrade to the Xbox one.

I moved the X1X to the garage after getting the XSX, but I’m thinking of trying to sell it and replace with an XSS. Anything graphically intensive gets played in the living room with the current system and nice TV anyway, so I think it makes sense to trade a bit of graphics power for fast loading and quick resume

If I had found an X first I might have gotten it. The only place I’ve seen them in the wild is at Costco about 6 weeks ago. And they had at least 30 based on the little cards you take up front to actually pick up the device. Other than that, I’ve not seen one at all. Even looking for store pickup at Walmart or Target (which is how I got the Series S).

And you can play Steam games on the Xbox through GeForce Now as well.