Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Gather round folks, it’s time for the monthly GwG reveal:

The Flame and the Flood looks decent, and I think Sacred 2 was one of those games I nearly bought about ten years ago or so.

I really liked TFitF as a cool little roguelike with a neat style/setting, and Sacred 2 way back when- I wonder how well it holds up.

I bought Sacred 2 at launch along with my friends. I thought it was totally lame, but they insisted on me playing it coop with them for a few weeks before we all gave up on it finally. I still have one friend who insists we should have kept playing, that we didn’t give it a true fair chance.

I never tried it in single player, only Coop.

I personally think it’s a terrible game.

Sacred 2 is great, but only if you’re interested in developing and tuning intricate clockwork character builds. It’s a hardcore action RPG and not just a splashy hack-n’-slash fest, so it’s not going to be as sexy as the latest stuff like Path of Exile or Lost Ark, let alone classics like Diablo 3 or Guild Wars.

By the way, I think I’ve only played this on the PC. I have no idea if its controller support is any good.

-Tom

I played for a bit and enjoyed the art style, but didn’t care for the lack of gameplay. To me, it felt more like a point-and-click adventure game than a resource management game. There was some substantive discussion about it – by @Nightgaunt, I think? – but it’s buried in one of the catch-all threads, so you’ll have to do a search.

-Tom

Yep, it’s here:

I really liked it–probably would have gotten a Quarterlies vote from me if I had played it in time.

I think it’s fair to say if plays more like an adventure game than a resource management game. Actually, the games I feel it is most similar to are the Hero of the Kingdom series. I know that’s not a household-name franchise–it’s also quite different in its basic interface from Wytchwood–but the act of gathering and combining things to get past a set of designed story obstacles is very similar.

It’s very relaxed, it’s well-written, and I thought it was the perfect length. It’s not challenging really at all, and isn’t trying to be. Also, obviously, the art is consistently super-beautiful.

Funny, just a week ago I saw Sacred 2 on sale for 8 bucks or something and thought about picking it up, but knowing very little about it, decided against it. Guess I can try it out now.

Never heard of those other games but that first one has some pretty graphics.

If anyone is looking for a Series X and is willing to pay full price for 24 months of Game Pass Ultimate, you can get one at www.walmart.com/xboxallaccess. I just ordered one and it only took a few minutes, should be arriving 3/7.

Between this and the years I already had on my sub, I’ll now have Gamepass paid for until 2026. Thats going to be real confusing when it expires out of nowwhere and I remember I need to pay for it.

You can’t have over 3 years on your account, FYI. So you’ll need to wait to apply most of that.

Yeah, I wondered about that. Since All Access is a monthly charge, maybe it will only add one month to his expiration at a time, as he gets charged?

No, you can never have over 3 years, so that would only work if it came in 36 one month codes. If it’s a single 3 year code he’ll need to wait until his current subscription completely ends.

Edit: I missed the point of your post-- it’s “all access” rather than buying GPU separately. I have no idea how MS will handle that.

I’ll need to wait until I have under 12 months left on my sub to redeem the code they include with the purchase. From their FAQ:

An Xbox All Access purchase includes 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. So, what happens if I have an existing Xbox Game Pass and/or Xbox Live Gold membership when I purchase a console with Xbox All Access?
If you’re already an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass member, any days remaining in your membership(s) will be converted to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate at a conversion ratio when you redeem the 24-month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership and added to your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership up to a maximum of 36 months. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate memberships are limited to 36 months.
If you’re already an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member, wait until your existing membership has a prepaid balance that is less than 12 months before redeeming the 24-month Ultimate membership through Xbox All Access. You will be unable to redeem with more than 12 prepaid months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Ahh so it is just a 2 year code then, that makes sense.

XSX came today. Opened the Game Pass app and then I came.

TMI! TMI!

(but yes, the scope of available games to play is impressive)

A tech question I feel like the answer should be obvious but console == pc so perhaps not: If I plug my xsx to a 1440p screen and run Elden Ring will the fps be higher than when it’s connected to my 4k TV? I’m guessing yes, and that all the fps talk I’ve heard has been implied running in 4k

The answer is no. Consoles use a scaler so they internally render at the set resolution, some games have multiple modes to choose from, I.e. quality or performance, and some games use a dynamic resolution which you mostly don’t see at all on PC.

Ah, there you go - thanks.

For the all access bundles, you can hold off on activation of the gamepass sub until you want to activate it.

Just got a HotStock.io alert that they were in stock at Walmart (no bundle, no membership required) and placed an order. We’ll see if it actually ships, but got through the whole order process and got the confirmation email successfully. 🤞🏼

If this is successful, it will have been about a month of trying, and about a week of using HotStock for alerts instead of just twitter.

Still getting in stock alerts now so try your luck if you just read this as I posted it!