Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Microsoft really needs to both unlock and advertise the Xbox Series as PC-compatible replacement gaming … things. On a whim i hooked up the Series S to a big monitor and it’s a revelation how fun PC gaming is on a system like that. It almost feels like a whole new product category. Most console games don’t use keyboard and mouse, but some do, and the ones that do feel very good compared to a real gaming PC.

I’m looking forward to trying Age of Empires 2 on the console version with keyboard / mouse. Might be the best/cheapest way to play!

Free play weekend has these three you can download and play until Sunday night:

Assetto Corsa Competizione
Lawn Mowing Simulator
Train Sim World 3 - Deluxe Edition

Dynamic background for the Xbox from deadspace devs.

Two more games I’ve never heard of. We’re in some weird transitional state here, I feel like. Clearly all the energy to getting new games is focused on Game Pass while GwG is out here twisting in the wind. The bold move would be to cut it loose, just let multiplayer go free but it’s probably hard to turn down easy money. In the meantime, we get these games that seem like they belong in a Fanatical bundle.

For The King was pretty popular when it came out. I think it’s been on GWG or Game Pass before though.

Am I the only one who can’t help but think of Warcraft when reading the phrase “For the King”?

It was one of the audio response clips that was played when selecting a unit.

eg

I played For the King back when it was on GP. Very much akin to an adventure boardgame sort of thing, in video game form. I liked it well enough, and have occasionally thought it’d be nice to play again- there’s several scenarios, I only beat one- but it was removed from GP a while back. It’ll be nice to have this in the library.

I just received a troubling email from Xbox, troubling partly because of its content but also kind of because of the way it presents its message. You may get the email too, telling you that a bunch of older games will soon be removed from the Xbox 360 store. Here’s a link to the games being removed:

29ff9bec-008d-4da6-86a7-5ce5f19582d4.pdf (xboxlive.com)

And just because I confess that link looks sketchy and you may not want to click it, here’s a screen grab of the games in question:

So, a bunch of games, original Xbox and 360 games, will no longer be sold on the Xbox 360 store. That’s kind of a bummer, but it’s not as bad as it may seem on its face. If you are buying things on the Windows store or by way of the Xbox One or Series X marketplace, a lot of these games are still going to be available there. But not all of them! I know the two Left 4 Dead games are currently only available on the 360 marketplace, so will they no longer be available for purchase once the 360 store drops them? I don’t know! But now I kind of feel like I should grab them while I can!

I’m laughing internally because I already own all of those. At least, all the ones I’ve heard of. I bought way too many games in the 360 generation. Way too many.

Whoa.

They’re on Steam though. Indeed, the vast majority of those games are on PC, and it’s not like the 360 versions are in any way definitive. Eyeballing it, Blue Dragon is the only one that jumps out as an exception. It sucks when things stop being available in a store, but this isn’t like when the various Nintendo storefronts shut down and there was literally nowhere to get loads of games.

I don’t know what that has to do with anything but yes, lots of those games are on Steam.

Because you said games were only available on the 360 marketplace and that’s not true.

Your reading is extremely narrow but sure - in case anyone else misunderstands me, if you want to play any of the games I listed above ON AN XBOX, you will no longer be able to buy them on the 360 storefront.

Please note that an Xbox is not actually required to play these games. Except for the ones that do require an Xbox.

I think Lost Odyssey as well.

I own both on disc though, and Lost Odyssey has been given away on Xbox Live Gold before, so most people likely already own a digital copy already. But I have both on disc, so I’m covered either way.

Is anyone else having weird update sizes?

I’ve got these paused in my XSS download queue:

DJ MAX V - 54.75 GB
Forza Horizon 5 - 118.18 GB

That’s definitely right for DJMAX. They still aren’t doing incremental patching so the updates are… large.

Has anybody noticed some weird power on/off behaviour with HDMI CEC recently? I’m wondering if it’s tied to the “woke” power settings update. Basically, I’ve got it set up to turn the TV and AVR on when I turn on a controller, and conversely to turn them off when I switch off the TV via remote. This worked fine until a week or so ago. Now I get two weird behaviours. One, when I turn the Xbox on, it also turns on my AppleTV*, and when I turn it off, after a very short pause it immediately turns the TV and AVR back on (but not the Xbox). Could be an issue with my AVR of course, but the timing was a little suspicious.

• Not 100% sure if it’s turning on the AppleTV per se, or turning on the AVR to the AppleTV input for some reason, which itself is triggering the AppleTV to turn on.

Martin Robinson thinks we should grab Daytona USA before it’s delisted. I think that’s one of the ones I never even thought about before.

Hm, I’m not familiar with it. Anyone played it?