Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

Which Forza? Horizon or the current one? Have you played the current one? It’s a technical mess, at least on PC. It’s apparently a bit better on console at least.

That’s fair! I am a huge super hero guy, specifically Spider-Man. He’s been my fav since I was old enough to pick up a comic book or watch a cartoon.

I am not a car guy. Games like Forza have zero appeal to me, so much so I totally forgot Microsoft has a car game franchise. But, I’m sure that game sells systems to people who like car games. As a simulator, it plays right into Microsoft’s strengths so it seems like a natural fit.

I haven’t tried the most recent release, and when I do I’ll use the console for it.

I had a whole setup with steering wheel and pedals for Grand Turismo with the PS4 ;). I haven’t hear much chatter about the most recent one on the PS5… again, it just seem like gamers aren’t super interested in sim games like driving or baseball this generation, for whatever reason, changing tastes.

That’s a good point, there’s even a thread for these kinds of distractions. Why not take this junk over there?

GT7 sold very well on PS5. It’s a quality game in the series.

Can you back this up? Everything I’ve seen says MS is very pleased with the sales and Game Pass bump from Starfield.

Critically. I wasn’t talking about sales.

I agree with Dave here. I think everyone was expecting Starfield to be an instant classic like Skyrim. A game that would have legs for years, supported by modders, driving Gamepass subs in the process.

The reality is the modders are largely saying “nah” because they don’t find the game interesting enough to mod. Maybe that will change in the future, but their complaints seem to be a fundemental disinterest in what the game has to offer as a platform, with a heaping side of resentment for Bethesda releasing a game and expecting the mod community to provide the free labor to make it engaging.

If Microsoft was happy with this outcome, I wouldn’t expect them to shake up the management structure of Bethesda, which is what they are doing.

That’s certainly a take, given that the mod tools won’t be out until next year. Sure, there are a few pc-only mods out now, but I expect we’ll have a deluge next year.

I’ll tell you my opinion then, since we’re all throwing these around: I think Bethesda/Zenimax had a pipeline going, and MS decided not to interfere with their operations or corporate structure as long as their existing work in the pipeline was in process. Once those were more or less complete and released, I’m thinking they decided to roll them all up under Xbox. So far, Xbox has been quite assiduous in not dictating terms to Bethesda studios - see Redfall, where a lot of the rank and file actually were hoping MS would kill it. But now, Starfield and the rest are out and available to purchase, and Bethesda joins the other studios under the unbrella. I bet this is in the purchase agreement as well. In my experience, corporations, especially ones the size of these dudes, don’t turn on a dime. I think this was set up quite a while ago.

Modding tools aren’t out yet. Existing mods are only there because they’re so used to working with Bethesda’s code base already.

There’s a decent article about this on Eurogamer.

Is this not a giant red flag? That the community is trying to fix the game when the company hasn’t been able to do it yet? Meanwhile we’ve had 4 major patches for BG3. Maybe that’s not a fair comparison but these two games are direct competitors for our attention.

I’m watching this interview now that the Youtube algo fed me, I’m sure because I was searching for articles to rant in this thread

I mean every company is looking pretty compared to Creative Assemby’s megabomb Hyeanas, the most expensive loss Sega has ever had.

As if the situation was different with Skyrim? Heck there are still launch bugs in the game that Bethesda has never fixed. This is not new.

Except the haven’t. ZeniMax and Bethesda’s structures remain. They just report differently within Microsoft.

I feel like every time Bethesda has every released a game, folks complain that it’s not what they hoped, and is in fact inferior to the prior iteration.

Maybe Starfield is the Oblivion that will be improved on in the followup. Someday.

TIL, watching/listening to this interview of Dave Cutler (DEC VMS, Windows NT) and apparently the xbox has a hypervisor running 3 vms, the games are packaged in a vm, and quick resume is resuming that vm. Their plan is run AI/ML work loads on the racked xboxs for xcloud during offhours runing a linux vm.

Yeah, he actually wrote the Xbox One hypervisor, and it continues to Series S/X.

In my house, we have a Switch and an Xbox Series X. For the Switch, we mainly only play first-party Nintendo games, so if those all of a sudden dried up, I’d be pretty pissed. The Xbox is mainly used to play third-party games and game pass. For that, I don’t really have any complaints.

Sure, it would be great if the Xbox had more good AAA first-party games, but it always seems like there is plenty to play on it even otherwise. The PlayStation may have more high-quality AAA exclusives overall, but few of them are really games i’m dying to play. To be honest, I would rather Xbox releases one AAA title and a half dozen quirky smaller titles than the 2-3 blockbuster games that Sony releases each year.

That said, Xbox really dropped the ball on BG3, though they seem to be doing everything they can to get it on their systems.