Xbox Series X - The next Xbox that's boxy but sexy xXx

MS has already decided to get out of the console business, but they want to keep the money coming in from the big game studios they acquired.

If they say they’re getting out of the console business, tho, gamers will react and it will negatively impact their gaming brands. This is a slow walk to multi-platform availability, then after this gen they kill off the console. Maybe they re-skin Battle.net with an Xbox logo and turn it into (yet another) storefront.

Honestly, I don’t think Blizzard’s games have the gravity they used to either, so why bother with even Battle.net over Steam?

It’s the other way around - they’ll slowly phase out the Xbox brand.

There’s probably not going to be an external hardware refresh again. Probably the best way you can tell they’re unwinding Xbox is if they offer an updated “next gen” Xbox in the same case. But I don’t think they’ll kill Xbox outright, they’ll slowly drown it with indifference and lack of interesting features.

When you see that generic family holding Xbox controllers in a stupid way in a shiny house with big widows smiling, like it’s an optional “gaming” accessory you might think of picking up, buried under the Accessories menu in the MS store.

Thank you for clarifying. Given that Microsoft has named the console, the network, and the publishing arm “Xbox”, I wasn’t sure exactly which you were referring to. Saying the console won’t exist much longer is probably a pretty safe bet. Saying they’re going to bail out of gaming completely is, well like I said not exactly impossible these days, but probably longer odds.

Maybe it would have been if it had released on PS5 as well? I’m sure Skyrim and Fallout 3 sold more copies on Playstation consoles. The same way COD and Madden and other multiplatform releases always have.

I don’t know the actual sales numbers for Starfield on Xbox, and it might have been less than Skyrim due to being a new unproven IP, and of course the low review scores, but I’m guessing it sold “fine for Xbox”. They just had unrealistic expectations of it being some system seller at this point. I think Elder Scrolls 6 would have been that “savior” had it released this year. What they can do is keep that as an exclusive for the next console release and have a bunch of other exclusives ready to go AT RELEASE.

What games were available at release for the Series S/X? It was laughable. And hurt the console from the beginning.

I can’t find any numbers with a quick google search, except Microsoft saying it was their best selling game that month, and that Gamepass didn’t affect sales numbers.

Did it move consoles? Did it get people to sign up, and stay signed up, to Gamepass? I can’t find those answers.

I bought an Xbox mainly for Gamepass. My only real regret is that I bought an X instead of an S as my kids are pretty much the only ones playing the Xbox and they aren’t playing demanding games on it. Backwards compatibility is another positive along with the fact that I think it looks cool whereas Sony always makes awful looking consoles in my opinion. Seriously, I think they have an internal contest to come up with the ugliest design possible every generation.

It’s like the Algorithm is reading my mind:

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed “Latitude” internally, and I know there’s debate and unease at Microsoft about whether or not this is a good idea. More upcoming Microsoft-owned games slated for PlayStation are already being developed. At least for now, they’re potentially obvious games you’d most likely expect. And yes, while it’s true Microsoft is a prolific publisher on PlayStation already, it has typically revolved around specific franchises like Minecraft. From what I’ve heard, Microsoft is pushing for no “red line” for what games could come to PlayStation, and it all revolves around Satya Nadella and CFO Amy Hood’s mandate to increase every department’s margins.

Obviously, putting Halo Infinite on PlayStation will increase profit margins. Sea of Thieves enjoyed the top spot on the PlayStation Store this past week. And in a perfect world, it’s great that more people get to play these games. But we don’t live in a perfect world where platform holders willingly collaborate for customers’ betterment while competing on pure value. Like many of Microsoft’s other recent strategies, pursuing this strategy is a short-term margin booster with long-term consequences. Yes, the industry is struggling, and Microsoft isn’t the only hardware manufacturer that has seen declines. But destroying the foundational reason to buy an Xbox isn’t the answer you give if you do care about the long-term.

Another one:

The casualties of this profit maximization are the countless game developers who bring virtual worlds to life, only to find themselves discarded once the product is shipped, regardless of how well the game actually sells. Microsoft imposed these layoffs shortly after posting profits of $21.9 billion in the latest quarter, an increase of 20 percent over the previous year.

This is some wild-ass revisionist history. Skyrim and Fallout 3 came out during the Xbox 360/PS3 era, and both games sold wildly better on Xbox 360 - like, going off what released sales info I could find, literally twice as many copies on Xbox 360 as on PS3. In the same vein, this was the era of exclusive and timed-exclusive content in games like Call of Duty, and the platform enjoying that exclusivity was overwhelmingly the Xbox 360, as between it and the PS3, it was both the market leader and software sales leader for most of that generation. In the following generation, that flipped completely, but acting like these games “always have” sold better on PlayStation is a joke.

More relevant to current games, I suspect Starfield also being on PS5 would have helped it sell more, but given that PS5 exclusives - that is, games that aren’t also on Xbox, Game Pass, and PC - aren’t hitting sales targets, it probably wouldn’t have helped as much as you’re saying.

If this doesn’t move consoles + subscriptions, I don’t know what else they can do (besides make a good game~)

https://www.reuters.com/technology/microsoft-plans-release-next-call-duty-version-subscription-service-wsj-reports-2024-05-17/

Re: Next Call of Duty releasing on Game Pass.

Yeah, that should hopefully move consoles and subscriptions of Game Pass, but I honestly don’t know anymore. Even without it, I feel like more people should be getting game pass, but they’re not, so maybe this won’t help either? We’ll see a year from now how much it helped.

Not revisionist history, perhaps a case of misremembering?

Can you post links to what you could find? I recall looking at sales charts a while back and seeing sales at like a 3 to 1 ratio on Skyrim. Maybe it included (or was specifically about) the Xbox One/PS 4 version… I can’t remember exactly.

I also remember some time ago, periodically looking at sales charts and always seeing Playstation outnumber Xbox sales on multiplatform releases like COD, Madden, the 2K sports series. Again, could be I’m thinking about PS4/Xbox One gen.

I was ASSURED that Call of Duty would not be coming to Game Pass by someone on the forum here.

Shocking they are doing the thing they spent 70$B dollars to do.

Any numbers you saw about Skyrim on a PlayStation platform outselling an Xbox version were almost certainly about the PS4/XB1 rereleases. The limited numbers we have available for Skyrim on its release platforms - and it’s worth noting that this was before the days of digital distro being the primary sales method for new games - overwhelmingly show it shipping over twice as many copies on Xbox 360 as on PS3. Unfortunately, trying to find good sources for these numbers has proven to be an exercise in frustration - NPD stopped releasing per-platform software sales charts at some point before Skyrim hit shelves, so any numbers not released by a publisher or other reputable industry source come from estimated shipment numbers (i.e. “we made it up”) and/or extrapolation from install bases (i.e. “we made it up, but with One real-world reference point”). That said, NPD did still release hardware sales info at this time, and the Xbox 360’s continued sales dominance in the US was no secret - when Skyrim launched, the console had been enjoying its first-place hardware sales spot - ahead of the generally-dominant Wii and DS, even - for months, and 1.7 million Xbox 360s were sold in November 2011 alone. Based on those numbers, twice as many units for Skyrim on Xbox 360 as on PS3 at launch doesn’t seem unreasonable, though I’m not convinced it maintained as strong of a lead as the generation wound down.

On the other hand, we do have NPD per-platform charts for a large chunk of the earlier Xbox 360/PS3 era, and for some of these high-profile North America-focused titles, it was rare that the PS3 version even showed up in the NPD charts, let alone beat the Xbox 360 version. (Again, this was still the era of physical sales being king, and usually being the only way to purchase a game on console.) As an example, here’s the NPD top 20 all-platforms chart for December 2008, with the same number of PS3 games as PS2 games:

1. Wii Play w/Remote (Wii)
2. Call of Duty: World at War (360)
3. Wii Fit (Wii)
4. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii)
6. Gears of War 2 (360)
7. Left 4 Dead (360)
8. Mario Kart DS (NDS)
9. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
10. Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
11. Wii Music (Wii)
12. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)
13. Personal Trainer: Cooking (NDS)
14. Fallout 3 (360)
15. Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force (NDS)
16. Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)
17. Guitar Hero: World Tour (PS2)
18. Madden NFL '09 (360)
19. Call of Duty: World at War (Wii)
20. Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip (Wii)

Remember, this was still the era of PS3 HAS NO GAMES memes driving a lot of online discourse about the console, and it was also the time when PS3 versions of multiplatform games had a reputation for massive performance gaps - perceived or otherwise - compared to Xbox 360 versions. (In fact, because of how common “lazy” ports were and because of how hard it was for third-party developers to optimize their games for PS3, “multiplatform” was seen as a downside at the time, instead of a thing people were begging for like they do now.) The platform-exclusive content on Xbox 360 I mentioned before didn’t help PS3 game sales, either. Finally, thanks to its one-year head start and not costing FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS at launch, the Xbox 360 enjoyed a massive hardware sales lead over the PS3 in the US, which contributed to it maintaining a global sales lead until late in the generation.

As mentioned before, industry sales data sources in the west - NPD or otherwise - stopped releasing per-console sales data later in the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation and never started up again, so you wouldn’t have seen sales charts showing these or other titles having a lead on one platform or another in the PS4/XB1 era and beyond, unless an individual publisher released those numbers themselves in financial reports or otherwise - unlikely, as they usually love to keep these numbers confidential, even when shareholders are involved. (The assumption that multiplatform games in general sold better on PS4 and currently sell better on PS5 is an extremely safe one, though, based on install bases and public opinion.)

Huh, I guess the Playstation has been so dominant the last two gens, that I had forgotten how much better the 360 did. It’s kind of crazy how much MS have dropped the ball since.

The Xbox One was a complete and utter misfire.

TV tuner integration (which I actually think is pretty cool, but am in the minority), tons of “Kinect” stuff, and that disastrous press conference where they attempted to sell us on the future of digital only gaming with no disc sharing or re-selling.

In some ways, they were ahead of their time, with the idea of digital game sharing being a thing, albeity clunkily implemented, but also way out of touch with what the gaming audience wanted, which was… tons of great games.

The PS4 just played tons of games, ran well, had a great controller update, had a PS Plus program that built in loyalty with tons of great free games and supported third parties very well.

Microsoft fell way behind in that generation and failed to release many “must have” titles that were Xbox only. Couple of Forzas, Sunset Overdrive, Remedy’s worst game (Quantum Break), A Halo, A Gears of War …

There just wasn’t much on the Xbone.

The series X is a much better console, and the company focused way more on building a library of gamepass games, as well as cross connectivity between PC/Xbox and great backwards compatibility (back to 360). But I think it was too late.

I think that the Activision / Blizzard purchase was their only real hope. All of the internal development hasn’t been great since the 360 era. Losing Bungie was huge, we might be having a really different story to tell if Destiny had been Xbox only, or it might have just died because too many people bought a PS4.

In all honesty, the downfall began with the Kinect. They poured TONS of resources in trying to capture the “Wii gamer” family market, and it completely and utterly failed. Just think if that money an resources had been put into the studios making regular games. I think things would be a lot different.