Xbox vs. GFWL -- Microsoft fails again

I’m pretty sure you are mistaken about that.

The secret goal of GFWL is to convince people of how much better the Xbox is for gaming than the PC, and they’ve done a bangup job so far. This is not a failure.

Alternatively, it convinces me how awesome Steam is.

Actually all it’s done is convince me of how good Steam is.

lol

Well the PSN store sucks ass as well so yeah.

It does make me appreciate steam that much more as well, but I do like having my Xbox Live friends list available when I’m gaming on PC. I’d rather they just had a stand alone client for it that I could run whenever my PC is on.

It wasn’t DLC, it was the full game. All month GFWL have been having ‘sales’ on Games on Demand - which you still pay for with MSP - Batman one week, Bioshock 2 with the DLC the next, Kane and Lynch the week after. Fair enough that Batman and Bioshock 2 aren’t on the XBox games on demand, but - correct me if I’m wrong - I think Kane & Lynch is, and I don’t think it was on sale for the XBox during the duation.

There’s still one more GFWL sale to be announced on Friday as well.

It also, at least on my system, tends to zoom right along until it’s -almost- done and then sit there unmoving for the next however long.

Same here. The progress bar is utterly useless.

The fact that I can’t play Dawn of War 2 while my girlfriend watches Netflix does not endear me to these services co-existing.

DoW2 blacklisted the legit CD key baked into the Steam version I purchased and could not revoke it. They had to issue me a new key after scrambling with support for a few weeks. The developer was unaware GFWL had this ability but have not removed it. GFWL’s Games On Demand service is shit as well.

Believe it or not, if you play the game on both 360 and GFWL the achievements stack. I have red faction guerrilla on PC and 360, and basically got 2x the achievement points from the game. Not that I encourage achievement whoring.

I just keep thinking about when GFWL was an idea about to be turned into a reality. And how MS reps kept saying it would bring the PC gaming world ahead by leaps and bounds. Some progress, huh?

I ragged at how shitty GFWL was but I was threadcrapping the Bargains thread in a crazy paranoid delusional way. Granted, I wasn’t doing it rationally.

Edge opines that GFW Live should die in a fire.

Some three years later, Games for Windows Live is on its last legs. The service has been a comprehensive failure, hindering rather than helping PC gamers at every turn and putting more obstacles between players and the games that use it. For an example, you needn’t look any further than the recent release of BioShock 2. Miscommunication was partly to blame for the furore, but the game’s inclusion of Games for Windows Live sparked responses ranging from resigned sighing to screaming frustration. Live may be in its death throes, but its Microsoft-driven influence continues to pervade PC gaming.

Not sure why they think that Live is “in its death throes”, though. Wishful thinking? Too good to be true? :)

Developers can’t be pleased with it. Who really wants to shackle their game to a service that players almost universally despise?

Well, it’s not something sudden and surprsing. They are trying to bury pc gaming and divert resources to the 360 since some years ago. Closing their own succesful pc studios (essemble, fligh simulatior studio) which always made profit, making 360 exclusive from games of third party studios (Alan Wake, Gears of war 2), etc etc.

I’m just thankful that the number of games using Steamworks is increasing, while future releases planning to use GFW Live seems to be decreasing.

This. And it’s amazing how people tried to obliterate me on this very board when I suggested it back when Xbox appeared.

“Why would Microsoft want to cut off Windows gaming? They need to sell that OS and keep people upgrading their PCs!”

Yeah, right.

Enthusiast gamers might not make up a huge portion of the Windows customer base, but they absolutely provide a tremendous amount of influence toward the end-user consumers who make up the vast majority of Windows users.

I never ‘obliterated’ you but I was fooled by the CGW Games for Windows rebranding, the promise of kiosks in all those stores and GFWL.