Xbox Wireless Dongle blocked by Group Policy on Win 10 Home

I am having a weird problem trying to get my new computer to work with my Xbox Wireless Dongle. I know that there have been many problems in the past getting it to work across the internets.

However, I am scratching my head because I am getting a message that setup is being blocked by Group Policy. I am using win10 Home edition and did not know that Group Policy was even a thing in the Home version.

I went through a lot of things and finally got Group Policy (gpedit.msc) loaded on my Win10 Home system. But no idea how to find the policy that is limiting my use of the Xbox Dongle etc.

Any ideas out there?

Yeah, that sounds pretty weird. It might help to have a little more info. What exactly are you trying to do? What’s the error message?

The policy in question may be a compatibility block pushed out by Microsoft via Windows Update (same mechanism that can uninstall things when you take a feature upgrade).

In device manager (right-click Start Menu icon > Device Manager) find the device, right-click and open Properties. On the General tab under device status you might find additional information about why it’s blocked.

@TimElhajj

I am trying to get the Xbox Wireless Dongle (so my XBox Controller) can hook up :

@Calelari

I took your suggestion and here is what it says:

Really funny that Microsoft does not have a good driver for its own hardware.

Clicking on the Check for solutions button does not do anything. The Controller will work wired but it just irks me that it wont work.

I have the same dongle and it works fine with my Win10?

Have you tried different USB ports?

Unfortunately, I don’t know of any way to find out what is being checked that activates the block. Could be the specific Windows version, the dongle might be different hardware revs, something in your USB or motherboard chipset…

¯\(ツ)

Check the Event Viewer for the actual error.

Yes, I tied both USB 2 & 3.

It is not the end of the world but you just want the new computer to work, am I right?

@rei Not sure how to see the event viewer?

The dongle did work on my old system. Apparently there are a lot of folks who cannot get it to work. But i have not run across much on Group Policy blocking the setup.

Is your user an Administrator?

You may have to run gpedit.msc

https://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/locking-down-windows-vista-and-windows-7-against-malicious-usb-devices

I have gpedit installed.

I am giving up on this. I can get the Xbox controller to work with a wire and I mainly use it to play jprgs on the PC (which is not that often as I usually would play them on the Switch.

this is just not worth the frustration. I gave it my best shot.

I appreciate the suggestions and everyone’s input.

Sucks when a monopolist can’t even deliver the benefits of said monopoly to consumers.

Random hail mary - have you run any “registry cleaners” or utilities like “shutup10” which claim to make Windows better? Maybe they naively changed some settings they didn’t understand which thereby resulted in this issue?

Yes, I thought of Shutup10 which I did run. Good point. I will do some research n the settings.

Dongle Blocking? Really, everyone’s just gonna ignore that?

It’s wireless so nothing to see.

Nobody laughs at the emperor’s dongle

Check out the very last post in this thread at Microsoft support. It looks like he solved this issue by going into Device Manager, running the troubleshooter for the device, telling it to allow instant updates for drivers, then uninstalling the device and any driver it has installed, moving the adapter to another USB port (so Windows 10 “finds” it again) and allowing it to install drivers (which with instant update should be the correct ones this time).

There is also a Steam guide here on downloading a driver from Microsoft and installing it manually to resolve the issue (I linked to the last page in the thread because it has more recent and relevant information):

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/490123938430246727/?l=brazilian&ctp=30

Not sure if any of that will work for you, but it certainly sounds like you’re not alone in this issue.