XCOM announced (the hyphen matters)

Not X-Com but XCOM, a first-person re-imagining of the original.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2K Games Announces XCOM® - Suspense and Mystery-Filled First-Person Shooter from Creators of BioShock® 2

Award-winning developers set their sights on re-imagining the suspense, tension and fear of one of gaming’s most beloved franchises only on Xbox 360 and Windows PC

New York, NY – April 14, 2010– 2K Games announced today that XCOM®,the re-imagining of one of gaming’s most storied and beloved franchises,is currently in development at 2K Marin, the studio behind the multi-million unit selling BioShock® 2.Currently in development exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC, XCOM combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience.

“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride.”

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

XCOM is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on XCOM please visit www.XCOM.com.

So the Xbox players have 1st person view, and the PC players do the Global Strategy layer? Sweet.

so no base managing, no recruiting, no turn base tactical goodness and we get a FPS?

Hmmm…

I guess if they at least let me mind control other aliens…

This better not be Ghost Recon with aliens. If this is just a shooter than the tactical elements are gone, I’m going to be infuriated. As of late I’m beginning to practically only play older games because I’m tired of this modern mindless scripted shooter bullcrap. Does everything has to be some insipid Call of Duty clone now?

Ack! I didn’t do a proper search beforehand - completely missed the rumors thread. Apologies.

Ugh.

Damn you five character limit.

To the contrary – this isn’t a rumor. I don’t always click rumors threads when they come up :)

I’m disappointed, but not at all surprised. I’m not sure why 2K used the XCOM name for this. Is there really a significant XCOM fanbase that’s clamoring for an FPS?

Anyways, I assume 2K is going to pull a little bit of a bait-and-switch and market this as a straight FPS even though it’ll be more than that (just like Bioshock), but I wonder just how much of the non-XCOM shooting stuff it’ll capture. I imagine the RPG elements and squad stuff will be in there, since those are very safe moves nowadays, but I wonder if there’s going to be a significant overarching strategic layer.

Ugh is right.

Why even tack on the XCom (with or without hyphen) if you are going to make generic shooter with aliens? How the mighty have fallen.

I’m deeply saddened by this.

Reality is cruel sometimes. Never thought I’d see the day where X-Com and Ultima would both be on the first page of Joystiq at the same time and both be cruel tricks – a friggin’ FPS X-Com and a browser-based “Ultima” game.

Eh. I’ll see what people think when it comes out, but since it’s not from Irrational and it’s not a strategy game, my interest is at best lukewarm.

Not to take time from you guys looking for pitchforks, but I think there was a rumor recently that 2K was making an FPS X-Com and Firaxis was doing a strategy version. I’ll go look for the link.

ah, here

DAMN JOOOOOOO

That doesn’t make an X-Com FPS any less of an abortion.

This quote is particularly absurd.

Apparently, there’s a rumor that X-Com is being developed by Firaxis
If I were a journalist, I don’t know if I would run with “Apparently there’s a blahblahlbah…”

Honestly, it does, for me (if it’s true). The development of a real X-Com game makes me more likely to pay attention to the FPS and judge it on its own merits rather than dismiss it entirely.

I think it does. If it’s just a side story, or another factor in reviving the franchise along with a strategy game, then I’d be perfectly fine with it.