XCOM: Chimera Squad

THIS LOL! This really came out of nowhere…and the price?! I watched the video and bought it while still in shock. Maybe thats a new marketing model, release something stealth,really good and put it on a limited sell and people buy it in shock…even if they just got laid off…

Oh, shit. They ARE fixed characters. There’s a pretty clear roster on the website.

Rebels taking down the system, man!

Yeah, this is what I had assumed when I heard death was a mission wipe/replay. That’s not quite in line with the XCOM theme - it would have been something I’d be even more excited about with random characters and permadeath for them, if I’m being honest, but for $10 this looks like absolute banger.

Yes. I’m trying to adjust my expectations. We can see it has no high quality videos (or I didn’t see any), and instead they’re motion comic style – which is fine. We should probably expect a lot of re-used assets. Maybe only 4-5 locales? (That guess is based on nothing but the price.)

Well, it seems likely they chose the release date to get in front of Gears Tactics. Between that and the bargain price, it’s easy to infer they don’t have much faith in this. But we are in strange times, and they might just think it’s the best way to hit a critical mass of players.

It all takes place in a single city, so that would fit, yeah.

Despite the price, I’ll be waiting for Gears Tactics. I love XCOM, but I’ve had my fill for a while. I’m really interested to see a fresh(er) take on this formula.

This also suggests that perhaps it’s been rushed out, so… anyway, the offer is valid until May 1st, so if reviews are excellent…

I think Nightgaunt called it, the more i read, and think about the videos, the more it seems like it has a very strong shadowwatch vibe, with some XCOM depth added. Which is AMAZING if true. Even if it only has 4-5 locales, if the rest is up to snuff…who cares?!

As long as it’s Mod capable, I predict it will have more staying power than Gears Tactics game.

Edit: Not having modding capability is like a crime against gamernity.

Bought it. I didn’t pay close attention to what the actual game is, I just saw the word XCOM and a price of $9.99 and purchased it. I really only have two wishes for this game: Shorter missions that XCOM 2, less-lethal bad guys than XCOM 2 (and a bonus wish, a less-fucked-up RNG lying shitfest than XCOM 2).

Yeah, good point. I hadn’t drawn that connection.

This is why I assumed it wasn’t what the game would be, because naming units after your friends and losing your best soldier to an unexpected attack and stuff is so much of what people think about when they think of XCOM…

Last time I bought a game that suddenly dropped out of nowhere it was the first DiRT Rally, which ended up being at about half the retail price by the full release. So if it is anything like that it could be a good surprise.

Think I’ll wait for some first impressions before jumping in on the discount, unless they convince me with a wall of articles and videos first.

Yup, that’s the counterpoint. The deal lasts for a week after launch.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm, because this is exactly what I think of when I think of XCOM. QT3ers beware.

It’s not, it’s the point he (and I) were making earlier.

I couldn’t tell if it was all sarcasm though. But now I know.

Yeah, I was just complaining that I didn’t like the fixed characters and story they added to XCOM2 with War of the Chosen, so I am definitely not stoked about them writing a sassy Viper lady or whatever. The gameplay summary looks like there’s a ton of cool stuff in here, but the tone trailer was awful. Just awful.

$9.50 on GMG :)

It’s worth the extra half a buck if it turns out to be a dud and a refund is called for.

With 1000 hours on XCOM2, even if it is a dud, ill keep it for this price lol Just for the novelty of owning the first fraxis XCOM flop