XCOM: Enemy Unknown

You guys are going to freaking love it, if you have the same reaction to the details as I did while I was writing the GI feature. As soon as the cover story actually hits (probably meaning our digital issue launch on the 10th), I’ll answer whatever questions I can.

In the meantime, yeah, it’s a re-imagining. Same core ideas and gameplay concepts, but not a literal translation of the underlying math or anything.

One too much emphasis on re-imagination for my taste, and stuff like especially mentioning the “console audience”, comments of (former and current) Firaxis designers in interviews and such (general comments, not about this game per se) plus Sid Meier’s Railroads has me a bit cautious.
But other than that, yeah, sounds way, WAY more interesting than the FPS.

rezaf

I’ve heard full production began early 2009 but prototypes have been kicked around for years.

XCom Lite confirmed!! Boooo to Adam B!

/joking.

Cautious optimism, folks!

I see, nice to know it isn’t a rush job and they are getting a good amount of time to make a solid game. Thanks.

Anything from Firaxis is great, but making an XCom strategy title is awesome. I can’t wait.

My only trepidation at this point is the multi-platform nature of the game. Strategy games haven’t had a terrific history on consoles (recently) and multi-plat strat games have all been bad.

Very good news, but time to forget about it because I assume the real release date is waaaay off.

This fall.

I fear a control scheme/camera like Valkyrie Chronicles. I suppose that’s decent for a console, but I don’t want that for a pc game.

All my civ fanatic friends are also xcom fanatics, so i predict a short celebration dance wen i told then about this :-)

Supreme Commander 2 rocked. As did RUSE. Hell, Starcraft got an N64 release (WTF?).

This is the dream, isn’t it? It’s the dream.

Supreme Commander 2 on PC rocks. Not so much the console version, even though they were mostly the same. I never really got into RUSE. As for Starcraft on the N64, I treat that like some weird urban legend. Everyone talks about it, but I don’t think I’ve met a single person that actually played it.

Still, if the model is SupCom 2, then I won’t be too displeased. As long as the PC version is good, I couldn’t care less if the console version suffers.

/faint

do they sell Game Informer at the newsstand, or is that one of those magazines you get with a Gamestop frequent pawner card?

Holy. Shit. Day fuckin’ one.

It is. I can’t think of another PC game that so many gamers have wanted to see updated. Maybe Master of Magic comes close.

What worries me is we’ve had developers who are X-COM fans make their own versions of X-COM and none have come close to matching the original, which makes me wonder if it’s even possible to match the original?

This news rocks!

It’s the dream but… How much experience does have Firaxis doing tactical squad based games? …zero?
I am hopeful, but I’m still holding my breath. Just in case. :P