Xenonauts - the REAL successor to X-Com?

I plan to wait until the bugs are fixed before I try this. Don’t know how long that will be, but I have a low tolerance for bugs.

I’m planning to wait for a 50% off sale or something bigger before I splash the cash on this one. Got too much backlog to even look at a new PC game right now.

Ive run into a few hard to target aliens where I had to target them manually with a shot before it would consider them a target. Otherwise no serious bugs, the invulnerable bug is now gone, and in my 2nd ply through. Its far more stable than most other releases.

New game playing with the soldier sound mod (updated to work with the release), the potriat pack mod and the uniform mod (with the female uniform mod), really bumps up the quality of the game by alot, what are you guys playing with?

I got this a week ago, but I finally put in some serious play time over the weekend. My relationship with X-Com goes back to when the very first demo came on a 3.5-inch floppy disk with an early issue of PC Gamer, so I’m familiar with the source material.

It has the heart in the right place, but it definitely needs work in the balancing/tuning of the campaign and battles. My first campaign was on Veteran, but I really began to struggle about 3-4 months in; keeping nations happy is difficult, and while they aren’t abandoning me, they keep cutting funding. In response, i’m trying to get more and more bases up and running to keep their airspace clear, but those are making the problem worse due to all the construction costs and upkeep. I’m researching and building as fast as I can, but my interceptors are no match for some of the stuff appearing in the skies, and my squad is worn down after two consecutive terror missions only about a week apart.

So I ditched that campaign and began a new one on the lower difficulty, Normal. We’ll see how this goes.

Other thoughts…

1. It lacks the atmosphere and character of the original. But the original X-Com came at a zeitgeist moment for UFO mythology. The X-Files was taking off, Fox was airing Alien Autopsy, the Cold War and 9/11 was still years away.

2. It’s too bad you can’t rotate the map, but they didn’t have the resources to redo all the sprites four different ways. Is there a zoom? I’m playing 1920x1200 in a window, but I wish I could zoom-in on the map at times.

3. Assaulting UFOs is brutal. It’s open door and, hello, 3 aliens, hunkered down, in the room. Have fun with that.

4. Is there a quicksave/quickload? Game needs one. It’s way too bugy/unbalanced for an iron man run right now.

There are mods? Might give them a try. I can’t get over how un-military the ‘soldiers’ look.

Open door, chuck some C4 in.
Or: C4 the door off, which on a scout UFO also takes away the front line of cover they would be using, and then pour fire in from outside.
Or: Rush in with riot police gear and stun everyone.

I’m about to face my first terror mission… I could have intercepted it, but about 8 ufos appeared all at once and I didn’t have the resource to shoot them all. I also didn’t know it would be a terror mission!

Has anyone else noticed iffy LOS calculations through windows? I’ve been shot at by aliens at an incredibly thin angle, i.e.:

\....../................
.\..../...............A.
..\../..................
.==_========............
...T.......=............
...........=............

Where the trooper is on the second story of a house looking outwards, and the alien is practically 90 degrees to her. The straight-line the projectiles take from the alien to the trooper seemed to go through the corner of the house (and damaging the walls?).

Perhaps the alien could see me but knew the projectiles could easily penetrate the walls? It was one of those stupid looking ‘grey’ aliens in the nice blue sweater and black trousers.

Also: I saw my first floating disc thing yesterday and I immediately tried to beat it to death with as stun stick. Unfortunately it blew up :( Is it possible to capture them ‘alive’?

How close is this to being done? I really do not like buying early access games where tons of features are missing and then I get bored of the game before it is finished.

It should be out of Early Access… today.

I had a alien open a door and fire on me then close the door again. So I started doing the same thing to great effect. I just have my shield take the first shot to draw the agro fire everyone else opens up hen leave enough ap to close the door again. UFO entries have become one of the easier things as a result (expect you have to keep one person on over watch to the rear as the AI tends to circle around or come up behid when you hunker down in one spot too long.

This game the strategic battle is brutal. I was always on the verge of losing on normal in my first play through. I think I have a better idea on maybe how to better manage it, I’ll let you know if my 2nd play through gets easier. This is a lot tougher game than the original X-Com n the same difficulty, that’s for sure.

It does lack some of the charm of the original. The aliens look a little too plain, updated versions of the original X-Com would be fn. I also miss a engaging opening , no troop sounds (until modded on, and it adds a LOT). I would love to see this game modded/total conversion to a updated clone of X-COM, with updated graphics. I hope it does well enough to see that. A few of the above changes, and a way to hack in a nice intro would help punch this up to finally pass the original.

ON balancing and tuning I would like to see the strategic game go a little easier and faster for normal and a little more longer and tougher on the higher difficulties.

Big bugfix patch which makes it “done” sometime this week. Supposedly today, but don’t hold your breath on /that/ :)

What mods are people using then?
Are they easy to install with this game? Is there a standard repository for them?

But which ones do you use? ;)

(Plus, that doesn’t list all mods. You basically have to trawl the forums if you want to know all the mods)

It’s the closest thing so far.

And I’m waiting for this week’s bugfix patch.

Are all these going to be compatible with the final version of the game that is supposed to be released today?

These are all cosmetic changes, so they should not be impacted at all. The bugfix due is just tweaking to play and fixing a couple of crashes (which I believe I’m currently playing in test).

I looked up that sound mod for the soldiers and… it’s the counter strike voices…

I’ll pass :p

Spoilers, I suppose

I’m starting to dislike that this game forces you to pay more attention to the geoscape than the ground combat, if you don’t take an active role in keeping the skies clear you will lose the game quickly, since doing ground missions doesn’t seem to give you any bonuses to the funding levels.