Xenonauts - the REAL successor to X-Com?

That sounds wrong or at least too strong to me. Missions, especially if you do them well, have a significant impact on funding. I move to three bases as soon as I can afford it, and I prioritise interceptor research and air superiority, so I suppose I do spend a fair amount of resources on the air game. But what makes or breaks my funding are the ground missions.

By funding do you mean “bank balance” or monthly income? I know ground missions provide a quick income. But what about the monthly income? How can players tell what effect a shot down UFO vs a landing party provides for the monthly income?

MrCoffee is speaking of monthly income I believe, but it sounds to me like Disconnected is discussing bank balance. AFAICT, Coffee has it right: it’s success/failure in air missions that determines member funding, with the understanding that flying ufos do all of those things that piss nations off. From straifing runs to terror missions.

I have not seen my funding change adjust based on a ground mission, but I forgot to look after the only two terror missions I have done. It swings dramatically whenever UFOs do those things mentioned above. It swings back a little if you shoot something down.

This is not an area I feel represents an improvement over X-com.

Yes i meant monthly funding, i saw a corvette get my standing from north america from $400k to $200k in a single bombing run and i couldnt do anything because he was way up north and my foxtrots couldnt get there in time.

FFS, why does the game allow you to have unassigned engineers/scientists? Is there any reason why it shouldn’t just stick them all on a project after they’ve been idle a few days?

Edit: Also, people dying in the field also sometimes loses the armour?

An explosive could have destroyed the armor.

Like MrCoffee I meant both monthly funding from nations and income from individual missions. I’ll try to pay closer attention and report back. I’m playing on Veteran difficulty FWIW (and self-imposed Ironman… Crashy game).

Anyway, January 1980 my monthly funding increased by about 330k. Roughly half the nations gave me a little less, while the other half gave me a lot more. This was after a run of missions that went really well in Europe and the USSR, and a Terror Mission in North America that went amazingly. I managed to rescue most of the civilians in all of the missions, and had just one Xenonaut death.

Like I said, though, I’m on top of the air game. Not because of monthly funding, but because in other runs I’ve learnt that I can’t afford to let the flying money & materials piñatas get away if I can help it. And please don’t get me wrong here, I completely agree downing every UFO you possibly can is critical to making money. Where we disagree is that it doesn’t feel to me like it’s critical to down them and fast, prevent losing money. Subtle, and perhaps not the most important difference, but a difference all the same.

I have played 3 games (2 abandoned) and have observed, on numerous occasions, that UFOs that are repeatedly able to carry out missions lead to massive drops in funding. Even on normal. Not every UFO has what I would call a “high cost” mission, but it’s clear more than a few of them do. I’ve lost 500k+ in a month where I did 10 crash sites plus a terror mission. That was radar coverage over multiple zones, too.

Unfortunate quirk, that. It leads to me not queueing up research because clicking the arrows to assign scientists to projects is annoying. Whereas if the queue is empty and you select a new project it auto assigns as many scientists as possible. It should assign as many as possible to the next thing in the queue automagically.

Pc gamer review
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/xenonauts-review/

I can’t figure out how to equip the combat shield. It doesn’t want to go in the weapons slot, and it’s too big for the backpack. What am I missing?

Loving the game, though.

You should be able to equip it just fine in either the primary or the secondary weapon slot.

How do you deal with the terror sites? The only way i have managed to win one is bringing like 3-4 rocketeers and just leveling the entire map.

Any word of this coming to the iPad?

Is it possible to manufacture Alien Plasma Rifles? I researched the tech but don’t have anything available in the workshop yet. Jackal Armor, which comes after this, unlocked fine.

Also, the hunter scout car is amazing!

I don’t think so. It uses WINE to run on Mac and Linux, and since the iPad uses a completely different architecture to x86, WINE doesn’t necessarily work on the iPad It’s not an emulator.

YEAS!!!1

YEAS!!!1

You can’t since the research says they aren’t made to be used by humans, so you get an accuracy penalty if you pick them up during battles.

If you keep researching their weapons you will get access to laser guns.

Thanks. I had been trying to equip it along with a two-handed weapon; doh. It worked fine once I equipped it in the secondary slot, with a laser pistol in the primary slot.

I’m doing fine on the ground; won my first terror mission. But the air war is a different story. I now have three bases, and at least 3 interceptors at each base, but I still only down a fraction of the enemy targets. What’s more, I just had to stand by while Quebec was bombed from the air, because my interceptors were undergoing repairs. Ugh!

How fast did you set up the second and third base? I’m now done with my first month and I’m thinking of putting down a second base in NA but I don’t want to spready myself too thin too early.