XFire names...?

“crumpy”

Feel free to add me. And send me invites.

Anyone still using Xfire? I have it running next to Steam all the time and love it.

Add me! I’m doommunky, of course, and play CoD4 MP semi-regularly (and would play it more if I had buddies to play with). Also I WOULD play ET:Quake Wars (almost typed “Quack Wars”) if there were friends playing.

There’s a QT3 clan now too, so you don’t have to add everyone individually: http://www.xfire.com/clans/qt3/

I still use it, though mainly just for the time tracking and history.

Sweet. I requested a membership there. Who’s the ‘clan owner’, and when was the last time they checked in? There’s two other guys with pending memberships too. We may have to start a competitive Qt3 clan. The REAL Qt3 Xfire clan…!

I still use it as well because of the time tracking. I realize Steam is supposed to do time tracking as well if you manually add the application, but the only time I tried it with FIFA 2008 the game kept crashing on me, so I went back to xfire, running alongside Steam.

awise!

I run the QT3 “clan” on XFire, and I’ve added all the people with pending requests to the group.

Thread resurrection for those of us still using XFire. I am “anorax” on XFire.

There’s a field for it in the database in the stickied gamertag thread, too.

August 2, 2010–Xfire has been purchased by another company. Most of the team that has brought you Xfire for the last 6 years is leaving, including me. We’ve enjoyed our time and I personally am sad that I was only able to do 127 releases. Good bye and game on! --Chris

What other company?

MTV, apparently. (Edit: Or not. Bah, they couldn’t even put a date on that old page?)

Whoa! someone mentioned Xfire? Did I fall through some wormhole to 2006?

The MTV acquisition was in 2006.

And I still use it pretty regularly. Looks like I’ll be switching to Raptr (along with pretty much every other Xfire user), the way this was handled is kinda skeevy.

Ugh, and of course, name collision on Raptr means I’m not switching to it.

• Alan

Raptr’s client update system doesn’t seem as reliable as X-Fire anyway. I find that sometimes the client has silently quit or I’m disconnected and it didn’t tell me (or I was AFK).

It looks like for awhile, Xfire’s wikipedia page said the new buyer was…3D Realms. This is now edited out and is probably totally bogus, but still interesting.

More likely it’s these guys: http://www.titanplatform.com/about/

If you drill down into the press releases, Brock Pierce (founder of gold farming trailblazer IGE) is on the board of directors, and most of the management is ex-IGE.

What use they could have for a social network, and why they would have a disclaimer about “games of skill being completely legal” on their front page, is left as an exercise for the curious reader.

Edit: it’s confirmed on the main Xfire site now.