Xmarks nooooo!

It was really handy for keeping bookmarks consistent across browsers, OSes, systems, etc, and it gave you more control on how and what gets synced. I’ve tried to use Chrome and had trouble with it always merging version creating duplicate items, making it impossible to reorganize and have that be recognized as the preferred version.

Fuck them. I would pay them money, and they never gave me the option.

It’s not cross browser. I would pay money for that. Seriously. Xmarks. Money. 2 million users. Figure 10% retention at $5 a year. Fuck you.

Holy crap. Count me in for “would have been willing to pay, mind blown”. I love Xmarks and use accounts to keep multiple sets of bookmarks up to date across multiple browsers on multiple PCs. Good thing that people won’t pay for anything they can get for free. Itunes and Amazon music store can now stop existing.

Dammit. I’d pay $5-10/year for it, easily.

Bookmarks?

I just type shit into the google search bar on the browser to get there.

10% retention is wildly optimistic. 0.1-1% is more likely and that doesn’t even pay one salary let alone all the other costs involved.

Who the heck uses multiple browsers??? Wanting the same bookmarks but different browser strikes me as weird.

Web developers.

People who have to use apps at work tied to one browser.

Personally, I don’t even see the appeal of syncing bookmarks. All the sites I read on a regular basis are RSS feeds in google reader. There are a couple forums and whatnot that aren’t, but I can just remember those. Bookmarks just seem really 2004 to me.

i work telecom, so i have a million single use vendor websites which i can never recall so x-marks and now firefox sync are really handy for that

I work in IT also. What I did is setup a simple webpage with links to all the various vendors, including text entry boxes to search manuals, open tickets, and support sites, and put it on a wiki in our intranet. We just give that link to all our new hires. Saves a lot of time.

Most browsers now support both bookmark and history search from the address bar. This makes the syncing of both of those to be infinitely usable in speeding up work time while using a browser. For new employees, sure, a web link list is nice. But for actual work, I can’t tell you how convenient it is for me to be able to tag my bookmarks with whatever keywords I want and have those retrieved instantly.

For me it’s less about sites I read, and more about sites I use for work related information (although sometimes for personal stuff as well.) I don’t have to remember URL’s or page titles, I can go with “callmanager sccp fix” or “mom gifts” to pull up the related pages for each that I previously bookmarked or visited. What’s more is that I can do that on any machine I own (or administrate) and pull up the exact same page links. I can’t tell you how handy that is from a work perspective.

Xmarks has set up an official pledge page based on all the customers who claim they’d pay for the service. All of you who’ve said you’d pay for Xmarks, go pledge to pony up:
http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1945

Did it yesterday. $5 per year was really the price point that makes the most sense to me. I really feel if there are x number of people who’d pay $10 per year, there’d be more than twice as many at $5 per year.

First off, a big thanks to all of you that sent kudos and “Nooooooo’s” in response to our shutdown announcement.

Heh.

Pledged $10.

Maybe they aren’t shutting down but just coming out of beta.

Thanks for the link, really glad they’re doing this. Pledging $10 and agree that $5 is a better price.

Without Xmarks’ sync profiles feature, I’d probably have to radically change the way I use and rely on my bookmarks, which arguably might not be such a bad thing but is something I’d still prefer to avoid.

Depressing, 83k more pledgers needed.

Looks like the service might continue: http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1988

I personally use Chrome for syncing my bookmark bar, but it’s nice that folks will have a service they love back.