Yahoo - Considering selling off core business

In case anyone else is as paranoid as I am.

Go to https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll

Select the first image, go to the bottom of your timeline, shift click the last image, and on the right hand side, you should now see a download button.

Altaba? Da fuk?

It’s like of Alibaba and Alta Vista had a car crash. It’s like 6 random letters.

Though not the worst name in history. I remember when Anderson Consulting (or one of the big six, I forget who) tried to rebrand themselves as “Monday”.

Alt-tab-a-nother site.

They are essentially a holding company for Alibaba shares now, so the name doesn’t matter-- you’ll never hear it again. Yahoo! is dead.

Well, except for Yahoo Japan. It’s still the country’s most visited web portal.

But Flickr! Ha.

This is a huge failure for Verizon, IMO, even if they wind up getting a discount somehow due to the hacking coverup. I wonder what they could possibly have been thinking.

I hope Flickr and Tumblr get spun off and get some proper love.

Side note, on the news radio, the business guy was like “Yahoo is changing their name, so all that will be left called Yahoo will be a chocolate drink.”

I screamed “That’s YOOHOO ASSHOLE.” to the radio. I did.

This is the joke I didn’t know I’d been working on since yesterday. Well played, sir.

We need Flickr. It fits perfectly in the realm of online photography services: Instagram for the casual snapper; Flickr for the “nobody will look at this but I’ll upload it here anyway” serious hobbyist; 500px for the “you think you know photography, son?” pros.

Flickr was king for years, but didn’t innovate. Apple and particularly Google ate their lunch.

Google Photos is an amazingly strong service. Probably the highest quality service and best app Google offers.

In related news…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-15/verizon-reduces-yahoo-deal-price-by-250-million-in-revised-deal

Verizon takes huge writedown on Yahoo parent division, will sack 10,000 people. What a surprise.

Remember that time when Ballmer tried to by Yahoo for $42 billion and Yahoo turned the offer down because it wasn’t high enough? Good times. Microsoft got lucky that Yahoo’s decision making was worse than their own.

Yeah, I was working at Yahoo at the time. I actually got sent to Microsoft as part of the deal when Yahoo gave up on search and search advertising. I managed to stay one year at MS before I couldn’t take it anymore. What a charlie foxtrot on all sides.

Yeah, Ballmer was not good. Nadella really turned that ship around.

Yeah, he was my SVP when I was there. He really has done a remarkable job of changing the culture and perception of MS. Think how much people hated MS since the 80’s. Think how ridiculed the Microsoft Phone was. Now everyone wants a Surface.

I mean, Apple people still hate them. But Google/Android people are warming up.

BTW, it turns out the 10,400 employees leaving (it’s a “voluntary buyout”) are NOT from Yahoo/AOL/Oath.

Perhaps the shutdown is for the best, considering the site appears to be overrun with far-right conspiratorial garbage. The current Yahoo Answers homepage is highlighting such introspective gems in its discover section as, “Will America survive 4 years of Joe Biden?” and “Will this summer be record riots by BLM and antifa?,” as well as this instant classic, “Was Stalin right about everything?”

They’re just asking questions, man!