Yakuza 0 is amazing and you should play it

But 0 is the new one…

Kiwami is literally an old 1.

Those are the ones that made it over here. There were also two samurai themed games, Kenzan and Ishin, and two PSP games.

I completed 0 about a week ago and loved it. I was getting worried since I knew the game was almost over and there was still a lot to resolve, but they ended up wrapping it all up in a satisfying way. The ending game sequences and cutscenes are damn long though, so make sure you have some time before you go to finish the game.

I was a bit annoyed that I had to fight Kuze yet again. You fight that dude like 5 times the whole game. How many times does a guy need to get beaten down until he realizes he’s no match for Kiryu. Also there were a lot of enemies with guns at the end which frustrated me to no end .

Looks like I still have a ton to complete in the game, think I ended at 39% complete after 55 hours or so. So many skills I need to unlock on both characters as well as a bunch of sub-stories which are tied to minigames. Gotta fight Amon and finish the real estate and caberet stuff too.

Wow, so 11 games in 11 years then. That’s Call of Duty/Madden/FIFA pace!

Still just a corporate fantasy right now, but promising enough that I’ll probably wait for a PC port.

Meanwhile…

OMG Yakuza Kiwami is out! Why did nobody say anything!

I had never played the first game so it was cool to run through Kiwami, but I also found it to be the most annoying in the series. There are some BS fights in Kiwami that I just had to brute force my way through. Hope you like enemies with guns, because this one probably has the record amount of them.

The substories are really weak compared to Yakuza 0 as well. I also found it weird how Thug and Dragon style were two separate styles. I thought Thug style was what evolved into Dragon style.

I wasn’t a fan of how Dragon style was pretty useless until you fight Majima countless times. The Majima anywhere system started out entertaining, but it really overstays its welcome.

The way bosses can regenerate full bars of health was rather annoying as well. I really loved the stuff they added to connect Yakuza 0 and Kiwami though. Wish there was more of that. The game is still worth playing, but I’m glad this entry wasn’t very long.

I’ve talked about Kiwami in like three different threads here in the last month. It’s awesome.

SUBSCRIBE yakuza-list wisefool NOACK

Any thoughts on Kiwami vs 0? I know Kiwami is newer, and I’ve never played 1, so probably just Kiwami?

Also I think I heard 0 doesn’t have hostesses? So, probably just Kiwami.

0 has hostesses. And is amazing and you should play it. And it’s the first in the story. And Kiwami 2 is probably more than a year away so what’s the rush.

0 is my first Yakuza and I really enjoyed it. It’s one of the few games I finished.

I mean, I’ve played 3 and 4, so I’m not new to Yakuza in general, just wondering which is the best entry on this generation.

I guess 0 probably had a little bit more freedom in development, but Kiwami probably has some refinements on 0.

0 is the better game overall. The only thing I think was better in Kiwami was how they made it faster to change fighting styles. 0 has another character to play as and another city to explore. The substories are way more interesting, as is the overall narrative. I’d go with 0 over Kiwami easily.

I would do love to play this if I could get it for an extremely reasonable price ($5)

It’s on sale for $30, the lowest it’s ever been.

For what you’re getting $200 would be extremely reasonable. This game is a straight up GotY contender in most years where Breath of the Wild wasn’t released.

The biggest culture shock here is the save game interface from 2005.

Well that’s pretty impressive, then. The game is set in the 1980s so their save technology is 20 years in the future.

Save code for this post:
y54I04 0G9040 0B–00 0000YE

I really want to finish this by Christmas, but I’m worried I’m going to want to play a lot of shogi.