Yakuza 7 - We're turn-based RPG brawling now!

They both post on Qt3

I’m playing the English soundtrack at the moment, just because I find it so funny. Once the game proper starts I’ll switch to Japanese.

I started playing it too! First Yakuza game.

First, damn it gets my gpu to 99-100% constantly, and the graphics aren’t that good, and the framerate is around 55 fps. Optmization is lacking in that regard.

Second, it’s a pity the game has voiced dialog for 80% of the game, and there is a missing 20% without it, only text.

I’m intrigued by the story. I think what I saw in the first hours with the story of the boss, and how they meet, etc, was good. I really wanted to know what would happen after the 18 years in jail, and couldn’t believe the twist.

However, in the first four hours of the game, I felt like I played 15 minutes and the rest was cutscenes. Not only that, the gameplay has consisted of a very basic combat system, for now. So with this mix, of a good story setup, with most of the game being cutscenes, and short and only passable gameplay, I actually wish this would be non-interactive fiction. Maybe an anime?

The Yakuza games are always bizarrely massively cut-scene heavy for the first few hours, after that it generally becomes more sensible.

It continues through at least the first four chapters. I don’t mind, except finding a place to save and quit can be a challenge.

Did MUCH better with shareholder meetings today. Not only did I not know I could pause last time, but I took a picture of the color wheel on my phone so I could look at it even while paused. At one point my brain reversed the colors so I was losing, but I eventually worked through that, and just got in the top 50, which was VERY satisfying.

Place your guys in color order, left to right so you don’t need a color chart

Ohhhhhh, fascinating idea, I’ll have to try that. Thank you!

Of course this game has a pervert Pokedex.

Jesus Christ this first dungeon (Yokohama underground) goes on forever. Please tell me there aren’t more like this. I spent the entirety of yesterday evening fighting mobs in featureless corridors, and it’s still not over. At least I got some gear out of it.

I think that’s the only one? I’d actually recommend staying out of there because there are bosses you’ll encounter elsewhere that are much better first experienced in the context of the story/substories rather than isolated encounters in a bland dungeon.

I don’t think I could stay out of there, it’s part of the main storyline

You have to go down there for the main story, but I don’t believe you have to do more than a small part before you’re able to leave and progress with the main line.

It certainly hasn’t indicated that to me. I’ve been following the quest marker the whole time.

Well, “small” in relation to the dungeon as a whole. You should have an off-ramp before the bosses I mentioned.

Either way, it’s certainly not the strongest part of the game.

Thankfully, it seems that I left off last night just before the final boss, so it’s over at last. Still, that was three hours of the most tedious JRPG dungeon I’ve ever played. Didn’t help that the story had encouraged me to switch jobs just before, so my characters were relatively underpowered, but still, there’s no excuse for a dungeon that long with no differentiating features or story beats between beginning and end. Just corridor, mob, loot, corridor, mob, loot, repeated a hundred times.

I’m close to eight hours in, and if before I complained of too many scenes, now I will complain of too much combat, lol. I don’t find it particularly enjoyable. I wish the game would have, say, three times less combat. Which still would mean having 100 fights, instead of 300.

You just said the magic words - I have lost the interest I was building in this game.

I’ve finally got the first management minigame, the property/business sim. It’s a little baffling at first compared to the management stuff in previous Yakuza games I’ve played, and I’m still not entirely sure what I’m doing, but it’s a blessed relief after that dungeon. I’ve also increased my cash by two orders of magnitude.