Yakuza 7 - We're turn-based RPG brawling now!

It’s turn based except the stupid mobs move around a bit while you position your area of effect and linear area spells

Early on it was extremely frustrating as I kept trying to line up everyone in my cone. Turns out early AOEs have a cap number of targets so I was wasting my time. Lategame AOEs can hit everyone.

There’s no arcade skill needed thought it’s not like other yakuzas

Oh there’s also occasional tap X to defend prompts which I suck at so I don’t care. Proper tactics, equipment, and leveling render that unimportant. The best defense is a good offense, dead mobs can’t fight back

Hmm that sounds like it might be within my zone of enjoyment then.

Hehehehehe zone of enjoyment hehehehe

OK but I don’t see a way to do that (just switch jobs) once in the dungeon, so to do that I’ll need to get back to the surface which means I have to load a save from before I went back to the warehouse job to get evidence of the counterfeiting/money laundering/arglebargle, right? Once I’m committed to that path, I have to make it through the Yokohama Underground dungeon till a boss fight, correct?

I see that I picked the entirely wrong jobs for everyone. Maybe I should have just stuck with the ones they already had, because they seemed to work pretty well.

There should be an opportunity to leave before you encounter a boss down there. In fact, I’d strongly recommend it because both bosses down there are repeats of story/substory bosses who are much better encountered first in the context of the story.

I think we’re talking at cross purposes here because I’m looking at IGNs walkthrough and not seeing an opportunity to leave before I fight the boss (the warehouse foreman driving a bulldozer/excavator, I’m reading) because I’m pretty sure I’m in the part of the story where I have to fight this boss.

To be clear:

Summary

This is the part after the scene where you’re all hung up by your wrists in chains by the Liumang after the scene where the warehouse gets blown up following the discovery that Ichiban and company (Adachi, Nanba and Saeko) were trying to smuggle a bill of the Liumang’s possibly counterfeit money out as evidence. Don’t I have to fight the described boss before emerging to street level?

@Papageno, you definitely have to fight the boss there first. I think I ultimately reloaded prior to the sewers and leveled up my dudes in different classes. It doesn’t actually take that long to do the second time, when you skip the cutscenes. This is one of a couple of places where I felt like there was enough of a difficulty spike to have me reload prior to getting into that mess. (The second is in Chapter 12 when you go to the Omi alliance headquarters and fight a couple of difficult bosses.

Hmm. It’s possible I’m misremembering.

Well, I finally got past the darned thing by avoiding a certain optional enemy and having a walkthrough open. Sheesh was that a pain.

You are through what I think is the low point of the game. Nothing is remotely that bad afterwards.

And the story and voice acting is really good, so I’m enjoying the game as a whole a lot.

So I picked this up and I have to say it is only slightly and in a fairly weak way turn based. I was specifically asking about timed stuff and Holy Fuck this game has all kinds of timing based stuff, at the early levels I’m at. It’s too early to tell if the timing stuff will ruin the game balance for me, but from my perspective this is not a true turn based game; there’s a lot of reflex and action shit. I’m disappointed in this board. I feel like you folks gave me bad information.

I bought it on Steam a couple of hours ago - how long do I have to decide if I’m going to return it or not? It has great production values and in theory if the timing shit doesn’t ruin the game balance, I might enjoy it, but Jeez I’m kind of pissed - you guys made it sound turn-based with some simultaneous movement, which is not a deal-breaker, but nobody mentioned all the timing/reflex crap. Feh.

2 hours of playtime or 2 weeks since purchase, whichever comes first.

If you’re on the fence I believe it’s on PC Game Pass. May be worth a Steam refund and picking up a Game Pass trial or whatever their new user deal they’ve got going now is.

Yeah mini games are more timed but the combat is turn based with a bit of real time in which enemies can move around while you’re making a decision. Also to there’s blocking which is timed as well. I personally find it pretty manageable. I hope it clicks with you.

Well my desire to watch all the cut scenes has just put me past the 2 hour mark. So I guess I’m stuck with it. We’ll see about the real time aspects - I can tolerate what I’ve seen so far as long as the numbers don’t become prohibitive. What I mean is, the old XBox Gladius game was a problem for me b/c if you didn’t do at least decently with the timing, you wouldn’t do enough damage to win most fights: the default assumptions of the power curve were based on people who don’t completely suck at timing/reflex/real time stuff like I do. In Yakuza 7 thus far, the impact of the timing seems more like a modest boost/penalty rather than a numerically controlling issue. If that doesn’t change, then I should be able to enjoy the game. Specifically, I completely suck at the blocking so far, but it doesn’t seem to be deadly to my ability to win fights. I’m only level 4 or so though…

On the upside, the cutscenes, dialogue, etc., have been worth my time thus far.

Yeah, at least early on, hitting the promos correctly seems to amount to a 10-20% boost, not a huge deal like Gladius

For what its worth, I loved this game, finished it, and didn’t find it super difficult, despite the fact that I never successfully blocked anything. The effects are sufficiently minor that I had forgotten it was a mechanic. So hopefully it shouldn’t be too much of an issue for you.

It turns out the timing elements, up through level 9, just haven’t been that decisive so I’m able to enjoy the game. The cut scenes and dialogue are really quite good and the combat, absent the timing, is solid. It really does bring urban Japan to life.

Just turn them off. Problem solved

Hey, meant to ask, is there a reason not to go with the “auto-restore” thing in the pause menu? It only seems to restore HP and not MP.