Yakuza 7 - We're turn-based RPG brawling now!

I don’t think I can play JRPGs non-portable anymore, but damned if I don’t want to try for this one.

I have very high hopes for this one, because although I’ve loved all the ancillary stuff about the previous games I’ve played (setting, tone, etc.), I found the actual combat-based gameplay pretty boring, so I’m all over the new core gameplay. Plus, no offense to Kiryu, but Kasuga just seems more like my kind of main character.

Ichiban Kasuga

Number 1 finally gets to be a protagonist.

Japanese names crack me up. I think my favorite in terms of low-effort naming is 次郎, “next son”.

Mom was an avid gamer and didn’t have no time to come up with any original names.

Same. It will be on gamepass, so no reason not to try it anyway, but the timing…

Oh shit, really? I missed this somehow.

I don’t think I’m making that up… anybody confirm?

I know Zero and Kiwami 1 and 2 are on there. Don’t recall hearing anything about 7, and a cursory search isn’t turning up anything. But that would be great if it is.

I feel like I did, but couldn’t find it either which is why I asked

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/yakuza-like-a-dragon-pc-hands-on-impressions

This sounds appealing to me.

Man, this is sounding really promising. From RPS’s preview:

My only real concern is that constantly getting dragged into fights is going to be even worse with turn based combat. Hopefully they’ve toned down the random encounters.

Have you found random encounters to be an issue in Yakuza? In my experience, the drunken-ness mechanic means that you can usually tune it pretty well outside of storyline segments where the streets are on alert for you.

If I make a real effort to avoid them, I generally can, but if I’m just trying to get from one end of Kamurocho to the other, that usually involves 4+ fights. If I could make it so there were no fights at all outside of quests/story missions, I would.

Aw yeah, killer lobster summons:

I really need to finish up Judgment so I can start on this…

Skill Up enjoyed his 10 hours as well.

When is the release?

Unless something changes, should be releasing in exactly a month on the 13th of November.

Excited! The actual gameplay has always been my least favorite aspect of these games, and actually also Kiryu himself as a character. This one appears to fix both problems!