Yay, I got my OLPC!

NSFW!! Nobody told me I’d have to see Roger Wong’s face.

Very nice. I think it’s the Jive Turkey by PIMP.

You could eat breakfast off of that watch.

Just ordered one.

Mine just arrived.

I’m tempted to leave it in the box until giving it as a gift, however, to those of you with one working already:

1. Do you have to upgrade the software out of the box?

2. If so, did the upgrade process go smoothly and automatically, or did you have to intervene to get it to work? And how long did it take?

If getting it up and running is even slightly involved, I should probably do that instead of inflicting it on my niece…

I’d actually want a foot pedal, just be on the safe side :)

1. They wanted to avoid disproportionate muscle development.
  2. They didn’t want kids injuring their wrists and hands.

Seems like they thought it through pretty well. What’s Intel’s answer?
Is it AC only, solar-powered? OLPC looks better off so far, but perhaps an
Eee could also be given an alternative recharge mechanism.

There isn’t anything to upgrade. But you have to flick the two antenna up before you can open the clamshell. Unless you read the start sheet, it’s not immediately obvious that you have to do that to open the laptop.

How light is it? Can it be used for daily casual web browsing? Just wondering since it might be neat to buy one for using in bed or on the couch.

It’s about 3 lbs. Some websites are very wide, so you have to use the magnifier tool to scale the page down a bit to view them. On qt3 for example, some of the ad banners get clipped on their right edges.

I haven’t tried the PDF viewing app yet. I hope I’m able to use it as a reader for my D&D Player’s Handbook.

So, how does the screen look in e-book mode? It still has the dual-mode LCD, right?

I have not run across anything KPDF doesn’t read, so if you have any problems, there’s that.
From reviews, it looked like the desktop was basically a Fisher Price frontend for a combination
of KDE and Gnome programs, so it might use that horrid thing from Gnome which bugs out now and then.

Yes, but when you’re outside, there’s little point turning on the color backlighting unless you really need the color. With the backlighting off, the screen is 200dpi – higher resolution than my first laser printer – and even tiny text is sharp. Turning on the backlighting makes that small text go a bit fuzzy.

You can push a button to rotate the display in 90 degree increments. The browser or PDF contents automatically resize to match the new dimensions. In ebook mode with the screen swiveled and closed, it looks like this (this is a page from my D&D character sheet):

These kids don’t need food and clean water. They’ve got MESH NETWORKING!

Roger also has his own action figure!