Yellowjackets (Showtime Series)

Yellowjackets is Lord of the Flies meets Lost, but with a girls soccer team instead of British boarding school kids. It follows a group of women who survived 19 months of isolation after a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness, both as teenagers and as adults. I watched the first episode (free on Youtube) and I am very excited to see how it plays out. I really think it is worth your 56 minutes and 15 seconds of viewing time, to see if you enjoy it as much as I do.

Pilot Episode:

https://youtu.be/72AslsI-7lk

It has gotten some good reviews from media who have seen the first six episodes:

Three episodes in and I’m liking this. Lord of the Flies meets Lost is a good description so far.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say I love it, but my wife and I have watched all 3 episodes and are enjoying it. I didn’t recognize Christina Ricci at first. Juliette Lewis plays spacey rehab lady about as well as anyone.

Yeah, me too. I was a bit shocked to learn it was her.

I love for a couple of things on this show: (1) high school soccer team cannibalism drama and (2) Misty (Christina Ricci) convincing me that she was someone for whom you would gnaw off your own leg to escape a date with.

I am ready for Shauna’s present day story to go somewhere though.

Really enjoying it so far. Eps 1 and 3 were better than 2, from my perspective.

I’ve watched the first 5 episodes, and I’m in for the haul, but have to say I’m not getting what they’re trying to do with the Shauna character, and I can’t decide if it’s just poor casting or poor writing or something else. I get the feeling we’re supposed to like her and feel sympathy, but to me she seems really unlikeable and gross in every way. I do very much like how they’re slowly revealing the Misty character, and am curious what the deal is with Tiassa’s son.

Yeah, Shauna’s story seems to be a really slow burn, but there must be a reason we’ve only seen five of the survivors. I’m assuming we’re going to get a big reveal about her.

But I’m really digging the performances by both sets of actors.

My wife and I really enjoy Shauna, for what it’s worth. Adult Shauna feels the most relatable of the characters to us. She is the most normal (at least on the surface), but clearly has a lot of baggage buried underneath the normal facade she is desperate to present to the outside world.

Misty is still my favorite of the adult characters, because Christina Ricci is awesome.

I love all of the teen characters, but I have a soft spot for Jackie. I have high hopes that she will be alive, given the lengths they went to not have anyone say explicitly that she died out there, but that is probably wishful thinking.

I think teen Nat and Shauna are both well drawn characters at this point.

I’m a sucker for this, so I’m in for as long as they keep it running.

I am not ruling out some sort of fakery but they made a big point of her necklace and that necklace being very present in the very first we see of the wilderness side of things. In which whoever had that necklace in that moment definitely did not survive.

Shit’s getting weird.

I hope when this season ends the show gets some buzz. It has apparently been doing really well in streaming numbers for Showtime, and has gotten renewed (announced after episode five). I think this forum may not be its core demographic though.

I thought episode seven was another fine episode. I am enjoying the complications to the relationship between Jeff and Shauna, and the occasional turn into (not obviously supernatural) horror with Tai.

Christina Ricci remains a national treasure.

So I picked up a Showtime streaming sub as a channel on Amazon Prime for a buck a month (for two months) over the holiday and this weekend decided to give Yellowjackets a try.

I’ve now watched all 9 episodes that are currently released (season finale is set for 1/16) and I’ve really enjoyed this. It started strong, meandered a bit in the middle as many serialized shows do and has been ramping up over the last few episodes. Episode 9 in particular was really strong IMO.

The cast in this is outstanding. I’ve never been a fan of Juliet Lewis but she is excellent in this. Christina Ricci is outstanding. Sophie Thatcher as the younger iteration of Juliet Lewis’ character is amazing in her emulation; she gets the cadence, the walk, the body language, the attitude, all right. I’m not familiar with Tawny Cypress but she has impressed in this as well. The cast is good pretty much throughout the depth chart. Even Melanie Lynskey, who I felt took a while to get going, ended up with a strong performance.

There are some issues; digressions, some choppy editing and construction of scenes and episodes, maybe too much going on at certain points and too many time sub-jumps; but none of these kill my enjoyment.

I’m looking forward to the season finale.

I stayed up late to watch the season finale and felt it was good with some flaws and many unanswered questions - probably an “8” on the 1-10 scale. But the season as a whole gets a “9” (which is absurdly high for a TV series) on the strength of the characters and the multi-generational acting.

I have many things to discuss!!

You folks watch it and get in here.

Waiting until my toddler goes to bed to watch, but I will be watching tonight and ready to get my spoiler discussion on.

I did not expect the ending of this episode at all, but I am into it.

My biggest disappointment is that Jackie froze to death in the woods and we saw the body, as I was really hoping that she would make it out, however unlikely.

I am curious how they are going to handle Lottie’s murder cannibal cult. It looks like Taissa is still involved, converting from a skeptic to a true believer. I couldn’t tell from Nat’s reaction whether she is involved or aware of the group. I am also a little worried that they are just going to do the evil mentally ill person trope.

I am really interested to see where this all goes.

Thankfully we already know we’re getting a season 2, because I’d be pretty pissed otherwise.

So we’ll see where it goes. Hopefully it doesn’t go the way of Lost, with endless seasons treading water and a really disappointing ending, but I’m definitely still in until we meet the “Tailies.”

And according to this story, Showtime is aiming for Season 2 to premier later this year, so not that long of a wait, hopefully.

So I was estimating based on the amount of time covered in this season that they are aiming for 5 seasons, and I saw some articles that mention the show runners allegedly have a plan for 5 seasons. I don’t know if that’s confirmed but I consider it concerning. 5 seasons is a lot of opportunity for the show runners to lose focus, try to stretch material, or given in to melodramatic cheese. I’d be happier if the plan was for 3 seasons (actually I’d be happiest if the plan was 2 seasons but that would have required a faster pace this season.)

I am okay with 5 seasons of ten episodes–Lost was running on 22 episode seasons for the first three, and 16 for the last 3, if I remember correctly, and there were at least 50 good episodes of Lost.

It depends on how much of a plot they have though.

Season 2 starts in late March!

Just finished the first season, and after stewing on it for a bit, I’d prefer if the show was just a straight telling of the story in the past. I love all of these actors but the story in the future isn’t adding a lot for me, beyond some Mystery Box stuff that I doubt will pay off.