Yellowstone

Anyone else giving this a try? I like the cast a lot… and it’s definitely something new. The scenery alone is worth a look.

Definitely looks interesting, will wait for it to finish & see what the reviews say.

From the EW review, which describes the show as “soapy trash”:

— Alan

It’s soapy and it might be trash, but it’s really pretty to look at.

Okay… but aren’t we concerned about the plot/storyline rather than fancy graphics?

And yes I’d expect a show called “Yellowstone” to have some good visuals.

— Alan

I’ve only watched the pilot so I really don’t know enough about the weekly show to know where it’s going to go unlike Entertainment Weekly talking about fossils which weren’t in the pilot episode.

Most shows today are soap operas of a sort. That’s kinda the format these days for everything from superheroes to procedurals. In this case, I liked that element of the show. The people playing the roles are great and it’s a setting I know little about (Montana… white dude land owner sandwiched between a cookie cutter town/planned development and an Indian Reservation). There are politics, economics, land use law, and other (modern) wild west type things going on. I enjoyed it.

Google tells me the show is airing on “Paramount Network”. I’ve never heard of it. It’s a new channel?

It’s the former Spike TV.

Halfway through the 2 hour premiere and so far this seems a lot like Longmire, only without the likeable characters, interesting plotlines and reverence for the subject matter. So it’s essentially pretty moving pictures of Montana.

I haven’t seen the show yet, but apparently the show has fantastic jackets.

Anybody still watching this?

Looks like its doing pretty well & just got renewed for a second season.

Taylor Sheridan’s hit series stars Kevin Costner and debuted to a record-setting premiere that landed 5.3 million viewers. Since then, the series has stayed strong, ranking as the second-most-watched series on cable after The Walking Dead.

Still watching. The storyline with the brother who lives on the reservation is very interesting, and pretty much all that’s keeping me invested in the show. Costner’s character is so unlikable, even when he’s saving his grandson from drowning, that it’s distracting. His other kids are equally unlikeable, especially the daughter. The show acts like she’s some sort of irresistible raging beauty when in fact she’s pretty damn unattractive, both in appearance and mannerisms. Poor Jimmy too, you’re sort of rooting for him after this past week’s episode, and yet what happened in the aftermath of his fight with the ranch hand pretty much swings the pendulum on the family back to pure evil.

The Indian kid steals the show in every scene he’s in. In fact, the Indian actors in general are the best thing about this show so far.

I am finally watching season 1, overall I like it for its unlikableness.

And just like that I watched all 4 seasons on Peacock. Seeing Jimmy’s full circle of seasons of fail, fail, fail and finally grow up and get a decent few options for once was nice. Costner has become more likeable also. Overall a pretty good show, glad I stuck with it.

Yeah I recall Costner wanting to be done after season 5. I am sure it was written up somewhere a few months ago.

I haven’t seen any of season 5 yet.

Well this explains the shit going on a little behind the scenes with Costner.