Yooka-Laylee = Banjo-Kazooie by ex-Rare Playtonic

Eurogamer review. Not bad. Sounds pretty good to me. Sounds a LOT like Banjo-Kazooie honestly. I was never a full-throated fan of that design either, and from the self-depreciating humor, it sounds like the developers weren’t either.

My brother and his son had a great time playing Banjo 1 and 2 on XBLA, so I think they’ll enjoy this.

Most reviews seem quite positive, with criticism generally amounting to the fact it’s a bit of a dated formula. I guess it is, but then that was the whole point of the Kickstarter wasn’t it? Nobody is making these anymore, people miss them, so let’s do another. Perhaps they should have been more innovative with it, but Kickstarter works best when it’s playing on nostalgia. Still, I think it has been dimished quite a bit by Snake Pass, which successfully hit the same nostalgia vein while also being quite innovative.

Well, I think that the reviews have probably been closer to middling on the scale. Many very negative reviews, many positive ones.

Sounds like the game looks and feels like a 1996 N64 game, without fixing any of the faults of the era.

It really sounds like, if this is a game you would like, you are going to like it. If you are someone, like me, who is on the fence about the games this is built on (I liked Banjo 1, didn’t play any others) you might want to hold off.

So, I will be waiting for the humble bundle version of this.

Yeah, that’s the read I got on both Snake Pass and Yooka-Laylee. Since I was never a fan of the original Banjo, I’m passing for now. But I think my brother and nephew, who absolutely loved Banjo 1 and 2 will finally find two games that recreate that magic for them.

Yeah, and my Fiancee is a die hard banjo kazooie fanatic. So, I might end up getting this sooner rather than later.

It is a real shame though that the reviews point to various frame-rate issues and camera control problems existing. It really seems like that is something they could have ironed out, it seems like we are really past a lot of those problems in games (specifically camera control), but I guess issues persist in this game.

As mentioned above, Jim Sterling hated it 2/10. Polygon’s review wasn’t particularly favorable. Kotaku pointed to the weight of issues, technical and design wise ruin the fun.

There are some very positive reviews however. It seems like if you know what you are getting into, and ok with that, you will like the game.

I was going off Metacritic which shows 12 positive, 4 middling, 1 negative. I’m sure if you include YT critics then it’s all over the place. Anyway, I’m a KS backer so I’ll check it out soon enough, and I’m sure I’ll let you know what I think. ;)

Snake Pass is my favourite game of 2017 so far. I’m sure it’s going to turn out to be the better of the two, but it does have a steeper learning curve (which is probably why it gets dinged).

Patch addressing this will be live before release, apparently.

So, I was watching a gameplay video of this, because it is hitting switch shortly. The sounds they use for when various characters are so incredibly annoying I can’t imagine wanting to play this after a few interminably long minutes. Maybe that can be disabled?

I’m pretty sure, no I’m certain they issued a patch to disable these in the options… of the PC version at least. Also, you can skip each line even in the original release version. I never found it that bad because of this.

Incidentally, Snake Pass did turn out to be the better game. ;)

I just wanted to say this game is underwhelming. The controls and camera are a pain in the ass, in both keyboard and controller, and this point already makes the game unenjoyable. In addition the characters are super grating, the pseudo mini sandbox structure is interesting but the game don’t have any tool to know what parts are completed and what parts still need to be explored (maybe a ‘follow light trail key’ is missing) and the game lacks a certain charisma.

A disappointment after A Hat in Time.

Out of curiosity, did you play either of the N64 Banjo games? A lot of your complaints apply to them, too. Going deliberately old-school may have not been the best choice.

Yeah, I felt the same way about the older Banjo games. I saw younger kids really eat it up though. My nephew loved both Banjo games’ rerelease on the 360, for instance, when he was really young. Same with one of my nieces back when they were originally released on the N64. The games seem kind of verging on annoying as an adult (as opposed to Mario 64, which was charming to adults and kids alike), and way too obsessed with things to collect. But I have to admit kids loved it.

1 million copies!