You bought horse armor. You bought loot crates. You'll buy in-game NFTs.

Title You bought horse armor. You bought loot crates. You'll buy in-game NFTs.
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When December 7, 2021

The gold rush for gaming Non-fungible Tokens (NFT) is on! Ubisoft is the first big-name publisher dipping into the "investment" fad by introducing Ubisoft Quartz..

Read the full article

Ubisoft Quartz will be available in beta starting December 9 at 10 a.m. Pacific time in the U.S., Canada, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Australia, and Brazil. Three free Digits will be available starting on December 9th, 12th, and 15th.

Digits can be claimed on the Ubisoft Quartz platform and played with in Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Other drops are planned for early 2022, and more details will be shared at a later date.

I know I should stay out of this, and I will, I promise, but I gotta point out that this is dumb, because, since the items are only usable in Ubisoft games, the same effect could just as easily be achieved by a private Ubisoft database of items, and then users wouldn’t have to pay exorbitant transaction fees to buy and sell them.

But then they wouldn’t be NFTs, and people wouldn’t be willing to pay 100x what they would if they weren’t NFTs. So, whatever.

The environmental damage of NFTs is such I will not give money to any game doing this.

I will freely admit that I don’t really understand the whole NFT thing (as well as the crypto craze in general, I guess) but what’s the upside? What does one gain from engaging in this whole enterprise? Are these NFTs resellable?

But look! Ubisoft insists their NFT plan is going to be cool for the Earth!

Digits are the first Ubisoft NFTs, playable in a HD game and stored on the Proof-of-Stake (PoS) blockchain Tezos. Compared to the Proof-of-Work protocol used with Bitcoin, the PoS protocol offers a more advanced and environmentally sustainable alternative. PoS blockchains work on a consensus mechanism that does not rely on complex computational efforts to validate transactions and therefore does not incentivize extreme amounts of energy consumption. For illustration purpose, one transaction on the Tezos blockchain consumes as much as streaming a video for 30 seconds.

Note: I hate all NFTs regardless.

That’s the thing Ubisoft is saying gives you, the player, the control!

• New opportunities – With Ubisoft Quartz Digits, your in-game items are no longer bound to remain stuck in your inventory. Once you’re done playing with them, you can put them on sale on an authorized third-party marketplace. If it gets purchased by another Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Breakpoint player, you would then be able to acquire a new one or use your proceeds as you see fit.

Minus a small handling fee to pay 10x the processing costs, of course.
But, see, now you get to observe more clearly your property going up in smoke when the servers shut down.

PoS blockchains? Does that stand for Piece of Shit?

Any game that uses NFT’s will be a game I don’t buy.

Or point of service.

Seconded.

“You’ll buy in-game NFTs”.

Narrator: No-I-Don’t_Think_I-Will.gif

Thanks, I got a good laugh out of that.

So did I. ;)

I am not going to buy any NFT and the moment a company does NFT I will stop working with that company and ask a refund for any owned product from such company.

moar liek NFTeeznutz, biiiiiiitch

avengers_assemble.gif

I’m hard at work on an NFT plugin for Starfield that will allow owned NFTs to show up as custom logos on crafted gear.

We’re not the audience for this. It’s Wall Street investors who lose their goddamn minds anytime a company farts anything NFT.