You bought horse armor. You bought loot crates. You'll buy in-game NFTs.

This might be the finest comment this forum has ever produced.

Remember back in the 90s when a few studios tried to make games with interlocking features? I think it was “Rules of Engagement” and “Breach” that worked together as a space ship combat game and a tactical game to resolve boarding actions. I have a recollection of another pair of games that was a space conquest game and a planetary battle game. Really cool idea. Didn’t pan out. I would imagine the extra degree of difficulty in balancing each game individually and then joined with each other is among the reasons why we didn’t see the idea take off.

This guy’s dream world sounds like both a hell for players and a whole slew of unnecessary complications for developers. At least the prior attempts at interlocking gameplay were tied together in a way that made sense. This is just a clusterfuck.

Absolutely nothing he said in that ridiculous post needed blockchain.

We already have rewards that come from owning or playing other games, they could easily be worked into game systems.

He also forgot to mention the fee you’ll have to pay every time you transfer ownership of items on the blockchain, or the hours you’ll have to wait.

Yes, that too. I’ve yet to see a problem blockchain solves that isn’t already solved by far simpler systems. Blockchain! The dumbest possible database!

Fyi you’re correct. Rules of Engagement linked with Breach 2, and Rules of Engagement 2 linked with Breach 3. Sadly these linkages weren’t used in every mission as they could and should have been. It’s like they didn’t have full confidence in their own amazing product.

Man, remember when I bought Battlefield 4, and I got an M1 Garand unlocked when it launched because I owned and played Battlefield 1943?

I don’t know how they pulled that one off without the blockchain. Seems impossible.

I remember doing it a few times, but if I was into the RoE part, going into Breach was too time consuming and I wanted to play RoE. For me it turned out to be one of those “it looks good on paper” moments. I think Breach 3 came out first as well, and I was already burnt out on it.

FOG:E did this with FOG2 where you could export the battles.

Don’t know how much it actually got used, as you say it looked good on paper.

You guys don’t understand… what makes these games great is
*Checks notes*
that they will introduce children to crypto finance.

Yeah it was a great idea, but the RoE missions were already pretty long. It’s a great IDEA if it’s optional I guess.

The Year is 2031. It’s hailing outside on a random Tuesday, the chunks of ice battering man’s creations into meager submission. You’ve just finished mining 45 Coltrabrite Ore playing some rando mobile match-3 game.

You Open up World of SmashCraft 2 and experience a tumescence. Your buddy from your Other Random Mobile Game guild has spent the last two years becoming a Master Blacksmith, and he has agreed to turn 15 ores into a [Whatever, who cares, an Obsidian Battlestaff sounds like a stupid item, and a weirdo replacement for a Mihtril Mace, an item that nobody on the planet except a Musk-like normie would be excited to wield anyway] This is actually a decent upgrade over whatever the hell you got two nights ago that you can’t remember the name of.

It will take him mere minutes, since the ore is the obvious limiting factor and nobody on the planet wants to wait an hour to craft an item in a video game before a timely raid in a Mahmorpigah, a decidedly different sort of game than a mobile match 3, gatcha, or Clash of Clans style game. You gladly spend time killing Cyborcs over in the Unnamed Flats to gain a level and some gold before tonight’s guild raid, which you don’t want to fast forward to because you like leveling and farming. All members have spent weeks grinding and farming and improving yheir characters, either directly or by training up crafting skills to allow guild members access to even better gear.

Tonight, you fight Revenge of Onyxia III. You hope the guild can finally succeed, that you have enough DoTs, except for the parts where you need to stop with the DoTs, to finally take her down. Because you’ve been working hard at it and it drops an item you can use in an upcoming game.

But how, you ask, was all of this accomplished? Three different games communicating with each other?

Why, the way EVERY OTHER PIECE OF SOFTWARE ON THE FUCKING PLANET DOES IT : Application Programming Interfaces, or APIs. A thing which has nothing to do whatsoever with how the data is shaped. You take a moment, however, to smirk while thinking of the idiot devs who decided to rely on none other than CORBA as the means of moving objects between games. Sure, the Common Object Request Broker Architecture was cool and hip back in 1992. But it’s sort of bulky and unwieldy and unnecessary for representing this sort of data. Your team looked at it at work for handling communication between company enterprise apps but json suited you just fine, and you’re moving much more data over the wire than these game companies. Still fully unable to believes the devs went with CORBA, you giggle excitedly. Json, CORBA, in the end it doesn’t matter. You remember how goofy the blockchain craze was some decade+ before. Nihil Sub Sole Novum.

You here a wet tittering from the corner, but resolve not to turn and look back at the throbbing, three foot long leech that is currently waking. It wouldn’t matter. You can no more do anything about the divine-herald than you can about the hellish weather. Outside, red-robed cultists gather in a circle and begin chanting, indifferent to the crashing hail stones. The leech begins inching over to you. You removed all the mirrors in the apartment because you couldn’t stand your increasingly gaunt figure. You wonder again about mankind’s inability to weigh the costs of actions. You wonder if this time, you won’t wake up from the feeding, and the burner crew will be hauling your corpse down to the local firepit. You shiver

The leech makes a squicking noise.

It’s time.

Well that story took a strange turn.

I mean, CORBA?

My exact reaction. CORBA? Next, you’ll say all objects are defined in SGML files!

You guys haven’t lived until you’re parsing individual bits out of DIS PDU’s.

I checked out his LinkedIn profile and obviously he has zero experience in gaming or anything remotely related to gaming. Surely he’s best to tell us what gamers want!

The internet has a distinct lack of corba cobra memes.

That is such a web2 attitude. You will buy your stock model horse NFT and like it!

Hahahahaha