You can never go back

After reading Crypt’s bit on the Day of the Triffids, I started thinking about old pleasures that haven’t held up well.

I just got back from vacation, where I read a boatload of books. One was Nine Princes in Amber. When I was, oh, 18, I read the series faithfully, and loved it.

But this time around, I could barely finish it. It seemed simply terrible. Of course, I’d just finished Martin’s Ice and Fire trilogy and Altered Carbon, so my perception was probably a bit off. But still, it didn’t hole up well at all – too much Deus Ex Machina, not enough character and the entire plst seemed, well, arbitrary.

Kinda reminds me of the time I went back and replayed the original Wing Commander a couple years back. After one or two missions, I quietly uninstalled it and put it on the shelf, hoping to preserve fond memories…

The more books you get into the Amber series, the more things become plodding and muddled. The very first book (Nine Princes) is great; I’ll pick it up and read just that one at least once a year.

Ah, that happened to me with Buckaroo Banzai. I remembered it fondly from when I saw it in college so many moons ago. Picked up the CD awhile back and gah, the movie was horrible.

The ending theme music wasn’t as good as I remembered it either. :cry:

Darnit, double post.

I picked it up when it came out on DVD recently, and oddly enough, I still love it as much as I did in high school, and the ending theme is just as fantastic as I remember it being.

I had never read any Zelasney until my brother got me the whole set of books from the Nine Princes in Amber onwards.

The first book struck me as weird. Not very good.

The second book was a little bit better, and if I’d had anything better to read I would have put it down and never picked it up again.

By the time I was half way through the third book I finally got it and became addicted. I really liked all of the books after that.

When I re-read them earlier this year I liked the second book more than I did the first time round but my opinion of the first book stays.

Anyway - I think you need to read the whole set. And they are good as such. Worth the effort.

Industry Dwarf

I’ll just add in me too. Sined. Seeled. Delivered.