You do not eat The Menu (2022)

You might be right about the sound, but I didn’t recognize it at the time.

I feel like he probably didn’t intend for her to die (if that is how we’re to interpret it) but just an incidental result of the aging of the meat.

I was left wondering where

I think your mind is just jumping to that idea due to it being a horror movie trope; the movie itself doesn’t imply anything in that direction. They’re professionals, and part of the job is to tell exactly what went to making each course. What would be the point of abandoning that principle? It would just conflict with their actual goal (of making a masterpiece meal).

Elsa mentioned early on that

Is there actually a connection between those two scenes? I think it was a burger made from normal fresh ground beef; just because they cured some meat in the shack doesn’t mean that they only serve that meat on the island. Guess it’s possible that I missed some bit of dialogue establishing that?

(Also, I took Elsa’s comment as a joke. That’s just not how food works, but it is the kind of answer you’d give to a really stupid question.)

I think the answer just seemed a bit too specific, so it was lodged in my brain as An Important Piece of Information. Chekhov’s Finely Aged Meat.

Elsa’s answer is a joke; aging meat doesn’t work that way.

— Alan

Ah I like that explanation. A working girl sitting back enjoying a good ole fashion cheeseburger makes for a satisfying ending.

Definitely cooking up one for myself after the holiday.

I agree, it’s a much more satisfying ending.

Btw, my wife was skimming around looking at reviews after we watched it and stumbled across an interview where the director confirmed this was his intent with the ending. Oh and there was a softer clap as the last sound of the movie.

Just idle musings here on two of the movies I’ve liked the most this year, this one and Tar. Funny thing that both feature compulsive too tightly wound control freaks who’ve seemingly lost the thread on joy in their lives and proceed to unravel during the course of the movie.

Saw a matinee today and this is easily my most disliked film of the year. Absolutely terrible movie.

It’s fun when a movie pulls out such a strong reaction. I loved it.

I did not hate it, but I was bored. It was mildly amusing. If this would have been a single episode in Squid Game, I think it would be OK. But a movie? Buying tickets, getting out, standing in line, enduring commercials before the movie etc… not really worth it.

I watched Amsterdam twice in the cinema, because I enjoyed it that much. There was no reason to go back to see this again, unfortunately.

Amsterdam is definitely not worth seeing twice in a theater and was barely worth seeing once.

— Alan

And I say they are both worth seeing in the theater. So there.

So much this.

Watched it today. What a weird film. Enjoyed it very much.

Funny thing about that burger craving. I did go to the grocery specifically to buy every single ingredient needed to make a double meat cheese burger with fries.

I’ve not enjoyed a hamburger so much in a long time.

Just watched it on HBO and loved it. The trailer made it look like another eat the rich/Most Dangerous Game clone.

I’m so happy it went in another direction.

Also just watched it. I found it 90% kind of by-the-numbers and not surprising or interesting. However, the cheeseburger sequence was amazing. Pretty much worth it for that.

I did not enjoy this movie and want to send it back.

Summary

I quite liked it.

I mean not as much of course as Everything Everywhere All at Once, Tar or The Banshees of Inisherin.

But then I didn’t go in looking for more than a black comedy and that’s pretty much what I got.

I’m with Lyle at the 2:37 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvDPezXTzlI

Meh, black comedy for me often doesn’t involve laughing.

But I am chuckling at the work you’re putting in poking holes in it.

There are more holes in Onion than a piece of swiss cheese and I still enjoyed that one too, again because I didn’t come with much in the way of expectations.

I definitely laughed at The Menu, and laugh plenty during Yorgos Lanthimos’ films as well.