You have died... again. Dark Souls 2 announced

I know exactly where you are. There is something worthwhile out there. There is also some stuff hidden along the left wall areas, one of which you have to come back for later.

I didn’t play the game right at release but the Shrine of Amana area was apparently a real bitch upon release. As bad as the sorcerer’s are now they were apparently much worse then. I have seen youtubes of players getting destroyed by them. A place where you need a bow.

Ok, the torch helps, but not that much, and it makes you a target for all the bleed-inducing guys out there, and of course if you roll to avoid one of their strikes it puts out the torch.

-_-

Muahahahahah. That’s just (evil) genius design right there. I remember being very tickled by it.

It is pretty cool, actually, even if I’m finding the area a little bit tedious to get through.

I would never have gotten through the Shrine of Amana if it wasn’t for the de-spawning enemies. That’s the only thing that kept me going. I knew eventually the enemies would stop spawning and I’d be able to get through. And that’s what happened.

There is an NPC you can summon in the shack about half way thru the area. It is one of the few, if perhaps the only NPC summon I can think of where there is no boss in the area. They knew it would give people trouble. The summon will follow you all the way to the boss, although the boss is pretty easy anyway.

I didn’t think the boss was easy! Damn “weak point” bosses. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think this whole area was a big fuck you to melee characters, but the equipment breakage bugs are like a giant animated neon sign of a cowboy giving double middle fingers to melee characters.

The run to the boss is so much worse than the boss. Amana is designed for a bow, and for point to point combat. And yet it is a wide open area. It is just very different.

God, trading with the nest is sooooo annoying. They’re constantly chirping at you in what is easily the worst by far voice(s) in all the games, which is saying something as the nest voices have always been grating, and it’s so many fucking button presses to just trade one item and it’s super easy to accidentally uselessly use up a smooth & silky stone because you’re just trying to get through the twenty button presses fast because you have five more of these things to trade, because who the hell goes all the way back to Things Betwixt because they grabbed a stone off a corpse deep in some bad area…

ugh

I never did figure that out. I think Dark Souls 3 is the only one where I figured out how to trade with the nest, and it was by accident.

I admit to always cheating with the birds by just looking things up.

I cannot imagine just doing it at random.

I try like three things and then give up and look things up. What’s frustrating is they change the things with each game.

Well, and of course with this game it’s totally different, with only 4 trade items and random stuff popping out.

I did get an Old Demon Hammer, though. Not sure it’s worth the Twinkling Titanite to upgrade it at this point.

Hollow Vendrick mindlessly dragging his sword around the Undead Crypt may by itself make this one my favorite Dark Souls game.

The run to get to him, and the boss right before, is one of my favorite and also least favorite areas. The first time you drop into that hole you have to deal with something I don’t remember in any game. But once the short cut is open you can run past the enemies to the fog door. And Velstadt is a great fight.

I got so mad at those damned zombies.

Oh nice. Vendrick was the last boss in the game, right? So that’s the end? Or am I not remembering something else that’s left? @Scuzz? I think after him is when I started doing the snow DLC (which is the only DLC area I could find) and subsequently quit playing.

Not really. You don’t really want to fight Vendrick when you first meet him because he is basically almost unbeatable. You need to do the “Giants Souls” thing. Once you have 4-5 of those Vendrick can be taken down much easier.

The final fight is back in the castle.

But once you meet Vendrick it probably is time to do the DLC. You should have the “keys” and have been to the locations where they can be used. Off hand I can only remember where 2 of those are, although I know the third is after a major boss fight somewhere.

Yeah, yeah, that’s it. That’s why he was the final fight. He seemed unbeatable, and then I got those other Giants Souls, and came back and beat him and then went to the snow. I just remember him being the last piece of the regular game that I remember playing.